A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, September 18, 2009

Bonneville Salt Flats





Wow! The first thing I see before driving onto the salt is standing water, and you must drive through it! This was not so last time I was here 5 years ago. Egads, this is nasty stuff. Not something you want to get on your vehicle. And people back east drive in this stuff every winter? Nutz! I crawled through it very slowly and was pleased to see only the tires and fender wells had any salt deposits when I reached the pit area. But you should have seen some of the other cars! It was nice to be among all the racing machinery. The temperatures were in the 90's and the glare from the sun off the salt was intense. Even though I was slowly feeling better I thought it best not to linger in these conditions for the four days as it was very draining. I was okay with that and left the following day. I'll come back another time as I understand they have a meet in August for motorcycles only. Now that's for me.


This is what I thought was really neat. A street luge powered by a motorcycle engine. Imagine lying on your back, inches from the salt surface going 100 mph. Now imagine this being piloted by a woman. Where can I buy one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.