The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Made in U.S.A.

I have been patiently waiting for the trails in Annadel to dry out enough so that I can try running on them instead of the street. I know the soft dirt trail will be much better for this old body than the hard street is. Yet just when conditions just begin to get dry, it rains. I really do not want to make a muddy mess of my running shoes so I continue to wait. Yesterday I came up with the idea of getting a pair of running shoes devoted entirely to trail running. I looked online, read reviews and found what I thought would suit me, a pair of New Balance MT572. Reading what people wrote about New Balance shoes though, there was an issue with sizing. Most stated they ran smaller than your size, “so buy a half or full size larger”. Should I follow this advice or what? I then got the bright idea of going out and try on New Balance at local stores to find the correct size and then order online at the reduced price. It was then I discovered that I could get these shoes for nearly the same low price at…J.C. Penny of all places!

This morning, all prepared to go and be there when the doors open at 10 am, I checked once again and found that Kohls carried them also and they opened at 8. At Kohls I discovered it is like a self-serve store in the shoe department. In fact no one was around anywhere on the second floor. Beside the obnoxious music blaring out of the ceiling speakers directly overhead, this was a pleasant shopping experience. I searched the shelves and finally found a box of New Balance MT572’s. In fact it was the only box. Size? One half larger than my normal size. I tried them on with my orthotics and the fit was perfect. Sometimes there are those days that all is right in the world. At the register downstairs I was given $10 off for a on sale price. Wow! The lady then said if I fill out an application for a Kohls card she could knock off another 20% = $12. Double wow! So this was a major score - far cheaper than any online price. It wasn’t till I got home and cut off the tag that was harpooned to the shoe did I read it. “Committed to American Workers”. Could it be? I checked inside the shoe. Sure enough there it was “Made in U.S.A.”. A rare commodity these days indeed and I felt even better with my purchase. To celebrate my good fortune, I went out for a 3 mile run, in the rain, with my regular running shoes, on the streets. The trails and the new shoes will have to wait a bit longer.

2 comments:

  1. GOOD FOR YOU! Wish I could get back into running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about posting some photos of your trails you run on?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.