A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Walk in the Park


Annadel State Park is over 5000 acres of hills, meadows, woodlands and streams. It has more than 40 miles of trails used by hikers, mountain bikers and horseback riders. I try to do a hike and one bike ride a week and still haven't explored all the trails yet. The best time to go is during the week when you seem to have the entire place all to yourself.

I am never dissappointed in seeing any of the wildlife that inhabit the park. They are use to the prescence of people which provides for good viewing and photo opportunites. Wild turkeys and deer are usually always about. Just wish I knew what animal it is that craps on the top of the rocks. It looks like dog poop and there is a lot of it. My best guess would be coyote, but why on top of boulders?
Two and a half miles into the hike is 26-acre Lake Ilsanjo, a nice spot to have lunch.
From there I can loop back via a different trail to my start point. By then I've walked 5.2 miles and my dogs are barking. Hopefully in time I'll be able go further and last longer, but for now I am quite happy with what I do and feel very fortunate to have such a great resource as Annadel State Park in my own back yard, just 2 miles from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.