A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Making Progress


This is my next attempt in trying to get maps and such onto this blog. I resorted to using the scanner since I am unable to figure out how to save map images from Internet sites. Only I am unable to use the scanner with my main laptop since it has Windows 7 installed, which itself leaves a lot to be desired. Windows 7 is like walking into your long time favorite store and finding all the shelves have been re-arranged throughout the store. So I scan the maps and save the image in my travel laptop which has Windows XP. I then transfer the image into the main laptop with a flashdrive. Now you may wonder as to why I just don't use the travel laptop to make my blog posts. Here's why:
Sinbad commandeers the desk chair whenever I am in my study, and the travel laptop and scanner is at the desk.

The map shows Annadel Park and I have outlined the usual route I take when riding my mountain bike. Click on the image to make it larger. I still have a lot to learn about this computer stuff but I at least some progress is being made although at an elementary level.

Incidentally, yesterday I took my new trail running shoes out for their initial run. First off I have to say, with all the running shoes I have owned over the years these New Balance shoes are the greatest right out of the box. No break-in required. Next, the run itself. It was hard. Very demanding. Nothing like running on the street. I guess I have forgotten how trail running is since its been nearly 30 years when I last ran on dirt trials. I suppose the constant dodging of rocks, roots and mudholes requires extra energy. Maybe I was going too fast and was unable to judge my pace as well as on the street. I don't know. But I do know it was much more enjoyable and I look forward to running the trails more in the future. Now if the rain would just cease.

2 comments:

  1. you may want to try a pair of Vibram 5 toed shoes for running on trail :)
    feels like you are running barefoot without the worry of impalement.
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_Sprint_f.cfm
    I love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip but they are not that well suited for runners who pronate and wear orthotics as I do and must.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.