A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Singing in the Rain

Today's forecast was for rain all day. Yet when morning arrived it was clear and bright with sunshine. A good chance to work on the leak in the motorhome. After breakfast I rode the scooter to the storage lot and got into the task of applying caulk to areas of suspect on the roof. Halfway into this it began to sprinkle so I quit and went home perturbed. Of course once home, it cleared and the sun came out. I decided to make the best of this fickle weather and go for a jog on my 3 mile loop in the neighborhood. Naturally, half way around it began to rain with all seriousness.

This brought back memories of many training runs of long ago in the rain. I was feeling good, having fun and downright exhilarated jogging along in the wet. I am not a water person and when it rains I do not care to be in it in any fashion. But I had forgotten how different it was to be out in the rain while running. My most memorable run in the rain was a half marathon race in Oakland. It was December 6, 1981 in monsoon-like storm conditions. It was wonderful and I finished in 1 hour 20 minutes. Unfortunately I do not know what place I finished. I cannot find any of my running information from back then. I must have thrown it all away when we moved, thinking I'd never run again. Stupid thing to do, but how was I to know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.