The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday, June 7, 2010

It was great to be back on the road once again. I love driving the View as it is so effortlessly to do so and has all the comforts of home away from home. We made a stop at Camping World in Vacaville to get this little diamond shaped yellow plastic sign that states: “Pet Inside. In case of emergency, please rescue.” I saw one of these in someone’s RV awhile back and just had to have one. I care about my cat. I have found since having Sinbad along on these road trips for the past 10 years, I am more aware of not doing foolish things. I worry about him being left alone if I did something stupid and died.

We are at the Black Rock Desert at 3:15pm, drove out onto the playa only about 3 miles and turned off the engine. I dared not to go further as the playa was damp in places where it usually is not at this time of the year. Northern Nevada has had a series of late rains which made for lush green grasses, fragrant sagebrush with a few wildflowers thrown in for color.
Each time I come out here, I continue to be amazed at how quiet it is. This as always is well worth the 7 hour drive. The weather is very pleasant with a slight breeze and scattered clouds overhead. I rolled out my little carpet, set up the camp chair and table, sat down and stared at the nothingness all around, while sipping a cup of tea. Simply lovely.
I started one of three books I brought along, took a couple of sundown pictures which doesn’t happen until 7:30, fixed a light dinner, read some more and turned out the light at 9:30. I was asleep in no time at all.

1 comment:

  1. Fresh air and a long drive will tend to make one tired. Glad to hear you have Sinbad's welfare in mind.

    It is finally starting to dry up a bit in the valley, up here as well. It is so nice to see the green bits , that a good rain leaves behind.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.