A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, July 28, 2010

First Time Blossom

I have had this cactus plant for a long long time...I mean like 20 plus years. It's spent all of it's life in a pot until we moved to our new home last year. That is when I stuck it into the ground. That is also the same time my wife began to take an interest in my cactus garden. When I am not looking she feeds my cactus plants food, hormones and steroids. The results are multiple blooming of the cactus plants and some for the first time, such as this little guy. I don't know what the long term effects of all these supplements and chemicals will have on my cactus - their DNA may be altered, they may develop cancerous growths, or they may become another Audrey (Little Shop of Horrors film) but the blooms are definitely unique in the plant kingdom. Yesterday a lady returned from her walk, parked her car, got out and took some close-ups of another cactus in bloom. I went to open the door and yell out "That will be a dollar please" but she was too fast for me.


1 comment:

  1. Really neat! How long was the bloom open? Hopefully it is not a "stress" sort of thing, trying to reproduce before croaking.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.