A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Imagine Create

There was a lot imagination and creativity in the art that was present at the Handcar Regatta. I get overwhelmed at events like this. There is so much to see everywhere I turn.

It doesn't take much to make the ordinary something different.

  
Then there are the pieces that a lot of effort and thought went into creating.
              


Whoo

Bones alone can be art

A bird in a cage, why not?                                

No art is complete without paintings from the small detail on a parasol to a large freestanding mural
Probably the most unrespected type of art is the tattoo. Tattoos were in abundance at the regatta with the women probably most of all displaying much of the tattoo work. I do not have any tattoos. Never will either. Not that I don't like them, it's the needles I don't like. Then again I would never be able to decide what kind of a tattoo to choose. And if I did choose one, I know sometime later I would be asking myself  "Why? What was I thinking?" I'd grow tired of looking at it and want something else or it to be gone all together. So I just admire tattoos on others and am quite happy with that. But of all I noticed that day, this one here struck me the most. This guy obviously is a craftsman in the old style. Good for him and I liked his tattoo best of all. It wasn't until I got home and viewed the photo did I see the old stick style folding ruler and hand wrench around the side of his calf. I wish had been a little bit more over to the side and captured the entire work. As I said, there is so much to see at events crowded with people that I don't see what is right in front of my eyes.

4 comments:

  1. This is a GREAT post!!! Wow, the colors are so nice. I especially like the leg tattoo photo. I would never get a tattoo either. I have seen good ones and those horrible kind that I wonder how a person can tolerate it on their skin. Yes that tattoo on the leg is my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis is some really interesting work! I really like the piece with the half of a man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to say, I'm running a similar view on tattoos. Quite fascinating to see on others and if others have tattoos then they are asking for people to look at them but have none myself (bit of a scaredy cat).
    Your bicycle obelisk a few blogs ago might just be my net find of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J.K. - Yes, and now I wonder what was on his other calf.

    T.B - The artist had a small display with a write-up and photos as how he created the piece. Some of the pictures were of him molding an impression of his friend's head into some type of material. Wow a friend to have indeed!

    Sandy - Yes, I've complimented perfect strangers about their "ink" and their face always lights up with appreciation. People love to show off their ink.

    Thanks to all for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.