The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Captain Drift

The Captain is just one of the many characters we've come to know over the years at Burning Man. He is another example of many serendipitous meetings you have within the thousands of people at the event. As you can probably imagine he is quite interesting to visit with. He's never at a loss for words. If you offer him something to eat or drink, he will insist on entertaining you with some form of music first. He usually has his horn with him while traveling through the city. In his travel case is an assortment of homemade mutes for the horn. He also plays a kazoo, harmonica and the little device hanging from his neck.

Last week my wife gave me a Photoshop program to install in my laptop. The other day she sat down with me for a 30 minute tutorial on some of it's features. So this here is my first effort at using the program. I blurred out the background which I felt kind of added to the Captain's persona.

Gee, one sure can burn up a lot of time with Photoshop.

(later) My wife informs me I don't have Photoshop, I have Photoshop Elements. Evidently there is a big difference (read big bucks). Okay so I have Photoshop Elements. It's more than I can use.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I like this photo, and he looks like an interesting man.

    Congratulations with your new photoprogram. They are so much fun:)

    Have a nice day.

    Berit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one. He must of talked your ears off, with his horn and deep conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the photo.
    I can't belive that he can see anything, so very good if he does not needs the notesheets.
    I play a cornet, but never in a costume like this....
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visiualise the background going back into focau as the mute is taken off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did not see Captain Drift this year...but I bet he was there and wandered down 5:00 looking for us. Next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bare Bilder - he is interesting to say the least. One of those unforgettable characters you meet in life.

    JEK - not really. I know others who can talk my ear off more so than he

    Ruth - I too wonder how well he can see with those goggles. I think he makes most all of his costuming.

    Thank you all for stopping by my blog. Spread the word. I need a fan club. :)

    Sandy - depends on your personal state of being at the time

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.