The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lenticular Cloud

This shot was taken four years ago as I was coming down out of the Bristlecone Pine Forest high up in the White Mountains of California. It was late in the afternoon and the mountain range in the photo is of the eastern side of the High Sierra mountains. This is one of my favorite areas in the state.


I was going to describe what a lenticular cloud is but reading about them was too confusing to me. Good that I never wanted to be a weatherman. All I can say is they always form over a high mountain or range of mountains. Something to do about moist air rising, condensing and the winds in the high atmosphere create the shape. Although they appear to stay in place for long periods of time, they are actually dissolving on the trailing edge and reforming with new moist air on the leading front. Many times people mistake them for a flying saucer. Umm..okay.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful cloud, but I think the mountains behind is amazing:)

    Have a nice day:)
    Berit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent b & w. You are pulling some great ones out of the closet! Each day I am wondering what is next. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bare bilder - You are right. The east side of the High Sierras with snow provide spectacular photo opportunities. It was one of Ansel Adams favorite places to shoot.

    JEK - I think I should go and replenish the "closet" with some new material.

    Shelly - a person of very few words you are, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Ever since working on Bristlecone Pines in college I've wanted to visit down there, just haven't been in the area. Someday. And I'll bring my camera, in hopes of seeing something that beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fsabulosos paisajes, esas nubes son todo un espectaculo! I like it your blog and cat! Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte - At the time I took some pictures of the Bristlecone Pines but am not pleased with what I shot, so...guess I'll just have to go back. On the slopes of Nevada's highest mountain, Wheeler Peak in the Great Basin National Park on the Nevada/Utah border, are some more Bristlecone Pines - a wee bit closer for you.

    Elena - Yes, these clouds are spectacular. Thanks for stopping by and I LOVE my Cat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waa is wonderful! I love that kind of clouds..

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.