A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, November 19, 2010

Gavin Enters Another Dimension

Here is my #2 grandson, number two as in the second one to come along. This was taken about three years ago at the Real Goods store play area in Hopland, CA. I think of the Twilight Zone TV series when viewing this shot, hence the title.  With Christmas coming up, I've got to come up with some sort of Christmas gift  for him and his older brother Miles. You ever see what they have out there for kids these days? Five and 7 year-olds are not content with simple toys. Nowadays it's all about hi-tech electronic gadgetry. When I was a little guy I enjoyed those simple toys either made from wood or better still metal with sharp edges and little parts that came off and you could choke on. Well, when they were the age as Gavin was in this photo they were quite happy with a simple toy. Here is Miles after Christmas when he was two and a half. Of all the fancy made in China plastic toys he got that year, it was the wood airplane Grandpa made for him that he fell asleep with.
Those days are gone and I can't make electronic computerized toys. I've got some serious thinking and searching to do in the next 30 days.

5 comments:

  1. I love that Twilight photo. You have a good eye, Grandpa! You also have great Grandpa skills. Try to avoid those electronic gadgets. Puzzles- all kinds: jigsaw, manipulative (I am sure you could make some great wooden ones), balance, Rubix cube. Just plain old clay; a big rectangle of it, or just modeling clay that can be reused in different colors to make really detailed creations. You know, you have to be a part of using all that stuff, too, don't you? Binoculars? I assume you wanted suggestions, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the toys kids gotta have these days. It's hard to even keep up with what the latest and greatest technology is. I LOVE your first shot of Gavin. It is a fun and interesting composition as well as so cute watching little ones walking. Give Gavin a HUG for me, even now that he's older. We have a grandson named Gavin as well. He was our son and daughter-in-laws first child and he passed away suddenly in his sleep while staying at our house. He was a healthy 14 month old and there was no cause. This happened about 2 years ago, and it's been a tough 2 years. But my son and daughter are very religious and have great faith that they will see Gavin again. They also have an amazing network of family and friends who support them. They now have another son, Sawyer, and are expecting another son at the beginning of next year! Life is precious and you just never know! P.S. On a happier note, thank you so much for helping me test my post today. I don't know why I put myself through such torture!! HaHa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and endearing photos. I so feel what you're saying. I've got a 6 year old and it's all about the electronics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is almost eerie, especially with the black hole instead of light at the end of the tunnel. Nice shot of both the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures of your grandchildren.
    I understand your problem finding christmasgifts to children. It's difficult, and I'm planning a bit through the hole year.
    We didn't have so many toys when I was a child.
    We got our first tv when I was 7 or 8 years old. That was huge for us, and friends came to look at it.
    Much has happened since then, and the world spins real fast I think.
    Wishing you a nice weekend, and good luck finding christmasgifts:)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.