A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, November 15, 2010

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later

I learned long ago in picture taking when coming upon a photo opportunity to quickly shoot a picture, especially so when people or animals are in the mix. Once I have one in the bank then I can ask myself questions about composition, exposure and aperture settings, and then shoot some additional shots. Above is a good example of that practice paying off.

I was riding my bicycle along a dirt trail at a nearby lake when I noticed this man flying fishing. "Hey, that is a good picture to be had" I thought. I got off my bike, leaned it against a tree then walked down the slope. Well I should say slip and slid down the damp moldy leaf covered slope so as to get a good clear shot without any tree branches in the way. I quickly grabbed a picture and as soon as I clicked the shutter the guy turned around and sloshed his way back to shore. He was done fishing and anymore pictures to be had were gone. I checked the image I had and was pleased with the result for I figured it would take several attempts to get his brilliant fluorescent green line in just the arc I was hoping for.

8 comments:

  1. Good job and I agree. By the way, the trash can/dumpster idea passed my mind too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! This is a super shot of fly fishing. You would never of got this if you had not did that sliding down the hill. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is a good picture. Like it a lot:)
    Have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right. Sometimes you just don't have the luxury of carefully composing a shot. You've got to snap while the snapping is good! I guess the trick is to be fast when necessary, and think things through when speed is not a factor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we were at the beach yesterday, I said, "I wish I had brought my camera." Always, always....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take that shot, and it may just surprise you later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Vic. Then I started thinking all the photos taken of me later are surprising!! In more ways that one. However it won't hinder my photography, I am way more careful now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think you'd have necessarily got a better shot if you'd have waited all day. Lovely image.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.