A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Cellphone and the Gift Cards

I have a cellphone. The only person I ever call is my wife. Then usually it is only if I am in the grocery store for example. "Hi. I'm in Safeway. What kind of flour am I suppose to get? There's quite a few different types here." The only person who ever calls me is my wife. Most of the time I never hear the phone ring since I am riding my motorcycle or bicycle, have the music too loud in the car or forget to turn the thing on which I hear about when I get back home. "Why have a phone if you never turn it on?" The last two times she called me she had to leave a message. "But I had it on" I pleaded in my defense. I tested it at home and sure enough the phone went to the message saving part instead of ringing. After fiddling with it for way too long, I went to the phone store. As I walked in carrying the phone in my hand, the sales guy's eyebrows went up. I explained what was going on and he immediately said that my phone was so old they had phased out the frequency or whatever it was operating on. They gave me a new updated model which contained a camera. That in itself is a whole other story but I eventually got the hang of using the camera part.

As I wrote in a previous post our family has this drawing names thing for Christmas gift giving. I feel sorry for the poor soul who draws my name. Therein  lies another whole story or post. I tried to make it easy by suggesting a gift card at a book store. Come Christmas day I got a package full of little items from that unlucky one. He did good. Part was a Barnes & Noble gift card plus another one for Peets Coffee. For those of you not living here on the left coast of the U.S., think Starbucks but only better. So on this rainy cold day I went downtown to cash in on my book card, walked across the street for a coffee drink and sat outside watching life go by as I sipped my mocha. It wasn't until I was wondering what time it was I remembered my phone would tell me, and then thought of the camera feature. "I could have been taking pictures!"

I don't think this is too bad at all for a cellphone camera. I set it for black & white since I feel urban pictures look better that way.

Notice the guy on the corner playing the horn. He'd switch from it to a sax, then flute and back pretty much playing the same rambling slow tune which I think he was making up as he went along. Ocassionally he would march in place trying to keep the circulation going in his feet.

9 comments:

  1. Great post! Your camera takes some pretty good photos, I'm impressed. Let me know how Long Way Home is, I've been looking at that book but haven't picked it up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problems as you do having a cell phone (not the old part), so I totally understand when you get in trouble for not having it on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello to you my friend,
    I really like your stories. Makes me laugh, and in this story I also felt relived. I'm not the only one with an old cellphone:)) A matter of fact I have to buy me a new one soon, but I wait just a little bit I think....
    Well, here I am, soon ready for a new year. Filled with some hope, dreams and realistic thoughts too. Christmas has been cold, but today it became "warmer" and it's been snowing all day long...puh...don't like it at all.
    Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy new year, and thanks for all nice comments from you during 2010. I appreciate it very much.
    Greetings from Berit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a nice selection of books there!

    I share the same trifles as you with cell phones. Mine still cannot send texts, which people make fun of after they learn of it.

    These cellphone cameras sure have got good quality nowadays though.

    To answer your question, there is. I normally take my finished rolls to a decent pro lab in Manhattan, but as the huge blizzard was on its way I decided to take my chances with the Rite Aid. Bad mistake on my part.

    Have a great start to 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally am amazed at the quality of your photos with the "updated cellphone"! I thought you were using a SLR. Very nice, and for you to admitt your issues around not having your phone on all the time to the world. Really enjoyed this post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those gizmos and gadgets are made for mi generation and I still have a paper agenda, draw on napkins and send snal mail. might be the odd one out, and that is ok with me.
    love the b/w settings, keep shootings and share them with us =)

    coffee+bikes=winwin <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post, and great pics from your cell!!! Have a wonderful NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for your comments. The one bad thing about the camera in that phone is it mimics a camera sound of a shutter clicking. It is loud, annoying and gives you away while in stealth mode. There is no way to turn it off. It has two other sounds, children voices, "1,2,3, say cheese" and something else just as cheesy. So I try to remember to place my finger over the speaker slots and this helps muffle it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.