The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Frog Pond Revisited

Okay, it is the middle of the week and everyone is in school or at work. A perfect time to go back to the pond, get a picture of a frog and not be disrupted in doing so. I hiked in, arrived at the pond and it was as quiet as a mausoleum. What gives? The last time the frogs were going nuts with their croaking. Either everyone was asleep or the frog orgy is over for the season. Maybe the park service lets the frogs out on weekends only, I don't know. I do know I was bummed.

So I had to settle on a turkey for the day.

Finally, I see a lot of this on the trails.
(some may want to skip this next part)
Notice the scat on the rock. Some type of animal goes to great effort marking his territory by going poop on top of rocks. It has the very same appearance as dog doo (dogs are not allowed in the park and I never see any) so naturally one would think coyote. But for a coyote to do his business on top of this boulder would require a great deal of balance and skill. Other possible suspects would be fox, raccoon, possum or skunk. I am no scatologist so I don't know, but I can tell you it is everywhere in this 5000 acre State Park. So as long as you don't go boulder hopping, you shouldn't have to worry too much about where you step.

13 comments:

  1. Too bad the frogs didn't cooperate, but the turkey was a good find.
    Your scatology observation is interesting. A racoon seems a likely suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the picture of the turkey:)
    I'm not so fond of frogs, so it's okey that there is no picture of it:))
    Have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I was looking forward to some good frog pics. I guess the mating season is over and they've gone to produce their little tadpoles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been told that I don't know my shit, but a careful inspection of the scat might produce clues - - any crayfish? think raccoon. Nice photos,looks nice there. It is pea-soup fog here,

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely shots! Great reflection in that first shot. I love the detail in the shot of the turkey, great composition!

    Have a nice day and don't forget to watch your step!

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the disappearance of the frogs -- got to thinking about it and I suppose some frog collector came by and took them all home. I understand he keeps them right next to his old outboard motors and antique bicycle with wooden rims... (((don't tell his wife)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful reflection. Looks like a great place to just veg out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice photos!
    Here in Debrecen we have also a lake with the name "Frog pond" :)
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. well when I saw the title of your post I was hoping for a few frogs. my disappointment was quickly dispelled though once I caught a view of the pond itself. this is a fantastic photo with the reflection. the composition in your photos is excellent. and that looks like coon scat to me...being the expert I am. Ha! have a great weekend Sinbad and I.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad about the frogs not showing, but what a lovely little scene with the pond. Beautiful reflection, and I love the texture of the grass.

    The trail looks very inviting....I'll avoiding hopping across the boulders! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is great, a lot of traveling, a lot of good moments, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. scat amuses me. It's fun to try to identify, i'm not gonna lie! There's a really good mammal tracking book (it's really thick and kinda pricey..can't think of the name right this second). Anyway, sorry the froggers weren't around. Silly frogs. I've had that happen before with frogs too..not sure why though! The turkey photo is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I appreciate all your comments everyone. Thank you. I give up on the frogs for now. I'll concentrate on photos of scat from now on since everyone took such an interest. Wait till you see pictures of turkey poop. That is some nasty looking stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.