The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Frog Pond

The other day while on a hike I discovered something new. Well really, I heard it before I saw it. It was a shallow pond lying in the basin of a small meadow. The pond was simply alive with frogs croaking their little hearts out. I approached the water slowly and quietly as to not cause the frogs to go silent. The majority were in the center of the pond hidden among the tules and cattails, yet I could tell there were many close by along the edge of the growth within a few feet of me. I looked long and hard for just one of the little buggers but could not locate a single frog. I had no idea what size or color they were so as to find one in my viewfinder more easily. I eased around the edges of the pond and although they kept chirping away, they remained hidden or were very well camouflaged. After about a half an hour of this frustration, I walked on down the trail disappointed. But I couldn't get out of my mind having a least one frog picture and was soon back by the pond. I logged in another 15 minutes of frog stalking when a group of people came down the trail into the meadow from the other side. They were talking loudly, stomping around (by now the frogs had become silent) with one of them wading around in the water searching for whatever she could find. So much for getting a frog picture. I left them to their foolishness, climbed up the hilly trail and took this shot.
I'll go back to the frog pond during the week sometime when everyone is at work and school, and I will get that frog picture.

12 comments:

  1. The light in this photo is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the light here. It's mysterious.
    Have a nice evening:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! you got something mystical instead of the frog shot. I really enjoy your story-telling about how you get your shots, and your persistence is admirable. I'm hoping you get a frog shot, as they're one of my favorite creatures ever. aren't they just fascinating? there was recently a special frog exhibit here at the public museum, and though they were all right there, enclosed behind glass in their little niches, my camera wouldn't cooperate on that day so I missed getting off any acceptable photos. some were very tiny but oh so colorful. now you've gotten me pining for the sound of our spring peepers - the surest sign of spring around here. but that won't happen until late April, early May and it's well worth the wait.
    I digress. your mystical photo is wonderful. you've tripped the light fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lighting in this image! Great com position. I hope you eventually get that frog picture.

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an amazing photograph. You captured the light perfectly. Say hi to Kermit if you see him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I might enjoy this beautiful light more than a frog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful shot. Sorry you didn't get any frogs, but I'm really glad you got this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow -- you snagged a real stunner there with that streaming sunlight. Well done... Enjoyed your frog story too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, some things are just meant to be! I think this image is a fare exchange. The light is beautiful and so is the composition. (P.S. Yes, I did use a polarizer on my Saguaro photos.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. maybe no frog photos this time but WHOA! that shot is pretty perfect. Excellent! ( I hate when people come tromping through all loud and stuff..)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh,
    che foto magica e meravigliosa !
    Buona serata :)
    Myriam

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.