The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

One Very Old Bicycle

(This is not my bicycle nor my garage. Just another part of the visit with my friend.)

So you may wonder just how old this bicycle is. The rims are made of wood, that is how old it is. He didn't know much about the bicycle. The nameplate badge on the headpiece was not correct for the bicycle. I did some research and found out it is a Crown bicycle. The company was in LaPorte, Indiana, and this model dates to the late teens or early 20's.  I think the seat is a later type from the 1940's. Notice the metal tab on the side edge of the seat. This was to protect the seat when it was leaned against a wall or lying on the ground. Back in this time period, to purchase a bicycle cost comparably to one purchasing a motorcycle today. I thought the frame design alone was so elegant.

Also notice the boat motor in the upper right corner of the photo. It is of the Seagull brand. He had about four or five of these motors, only this one was mounted for display. The others were lying down near the boat motors on the previous post and he plans to mount them on the wall next to them. All of them were similar, just bare bones functionality of a motor for a boat. All of his motors dated back to the 1930's. He had a small cardboard box filled with spare parts for these motors. The box was labeled 'Seagull Shit'. Seemed appropriate. Seagull discontinued production in 1996.

16 comments:

  1. I have never ever seen a frame like that and agree that it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the time I was a young girl up until a few years back I collected - just about anything and everything. Your photo of the garage the bike is in reminds me of those days. I got to the point that I couldn't take the clutter. but one person's clutter is another person's treasure. that bike is lovely and I've never seen a bike with wooden tire rims. I can almost find myself wanting that Johnsons Seahorse motor. It IS beautiful. It's vintage, from another time, and that's the beauty of it. This reminds me of that show American Pickers on the history channel. I bet they would see Lynn's place as a real gold mine. The son of a friend of mine contacted them, thinking that his father could get rid of some of the "things" in his over-filled sheds. Well, that didn't go over very well. The father got so angry about it they aren't speaking now. Some people just can't bear the thought of parting with their stuff! thanks for your kind comments re my photos. I guess you must be saying I have a style? I've been wondering about that myself. the feedback is so appreciated. thank you very much. you have a style too you know...and I like it very very much. wow, this comment turned into a short story. sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting garage. I think this old bike is beautiful, and shouldn't be "hidden" in i garage.
    Have a nice week:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome find, I love the photo! I just can't show it to my bf, he'll be wanting to start collecting old bikes next, there's enough antique vehicles out at the farm already in my opinion. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful find. this would be a poster shot for 'they dont make'em like that anymore'
    thx for sharing =) xxom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interested scene with so much to look at and take in. Loved the momentary as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of these old antiques. I love the bike's style. It reminds me a bit of the kind you would expect to see in Amsterdam.

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely old bike. I like the old motor, and all the other bits and pieces in the photo as well. All together creates an interesting image.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a great find! Thanks for the info on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your kind comments. I would like to pull that bike out and set it up with good background for a photo shoot. It deserves that.

    Miss Becky, Lynn and I talked about American Pickers some as we both enjoy the show. Great story about the father. I can see this happening so very well. There must be some stories on that show that are untold.

    Darlin, show him the picture. Bicycles take up less room than antique vehicles do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh cool, I've never heard of wood rims, and I'm as old as dirt...

    So, yeah, you've GOT to take the bike home -- and be sure to attach playing cards to the forks, so the spokes can produce a motorcycle sound... Way cool, way back when...

    ReplyDelete
  12. early 20's! that's impressive! Glad he decided to hang onto it. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too think the bike could be a piece of art. It would look great hanging or sitting somewhere out of the elements if one had room to display. If the background could be different, yeah a great poster. Enjoyed your recent posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL@Seagull Shit!!!

    What a beautiful old bike! The lines are so elegant and the wooden rims are just AWESOME! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all for your comments. I've since done some more research on this bike (ah, the power of the Internet). I found out this model was produced for only two and a half years during 1914 thru 1916.

    Janie2 - I agree.I have the perfect wall in my home, a high ceiling wall that this would look nice hanging from. More of a piece of art than anything else. But I don't think my wife will go for it so I guess it is destined to languish in someones garage until the right owner comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you own this bicycle now? I think your wife would go for it after a clean up and major overhaul.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.