A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, January 23, 2011

Putt Putt Putt

(Whoa here! Commentors are thinking I collect outboard motors. No way!
The post below is an addition to yesterday's post about my visit with my friend Lynn.
Any further posts regarding odd articles collected and mentioning Lynn [he's my friend, not my wife]
are a result from our visit and the original post Dodge Duo)

Okay, I am a sucker for old outboard motors. I don't have a boat, I don't fish, I don't do anything related to an outboard motor. I just think they look cool.
Here is the story behind this one. The original owner bought it brand new back in the early '50's. The first time he took it out, his son dropped the motor and put a dent in the casing right above the 'OH' of Johnson. I think we can imagine what the mood for the day was right after that. Years later the owner passed away and the son inherited the motor. One day Lynn was visiting the son when he was asked "You like old boat motors?" He did and the son said, "Follow me." Pointing at the old Johnson propped up in the corner of the garage he said "You interested in that?" Lynn said sure and asked him what he wanted for it. "Just take it! It's yours! I'm tired of looking at it and being reminded of the first day we took it out!" It was then the story was revealed.

10 comments:

  1. I like the first photo. I bet you have a nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've got to hand it to you -- this is about the strangest blog post I've ever read from anyone! You collect outboard motors just because they look cool... Lord, you cheese must be even farther off your cracker than mine is... (((just kidding)))

    So, now, if Lynn is your wife and she lets you bring stuff like this home with impunity -- and seeing how she has actually assisted in the procurement of the outboard motor, then I'd say you are married to a rather special person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That story made me smile. It's quite interesting to see how they've changed over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy & AphotoAday - these are not my motors and I don't collect things. I've since added a disclaimer at the beginning of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice collection, I like old things to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Again, Sinbad's Dad...
    Oh, thanks for straightening that out for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O.K., Sinbad, now I'm starting to get worried. I know people who love old cars, or cameras, or collect stamps, but I've never heard of anyone with a soft spot for old boat motors!! Hummm!! Makes for interesting pictures and stories, though! P.S. I really know that you are the 'I' part of 'Sinbad and I on the Loose'....at least I think I know that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Karen, Sinbad is my cat you see pictures of alongside the blog. I've had cats nearly all of my life, but Sinbad is like no other. He misses me as much as I miss him so he travels with me wherever I go for any length of time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did not know a person could love boat motors, and you are one? I know your wife has to be happy you are not bringing them home. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have to say that usually I don't give a hoot about boat motors. But these portraits made me stop and consider their shape, colors, decals, function, and durability. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.