The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Turkey Shoot

Yesterday the skies cleared of rain clouds for the first time in I don't know how many days. To celebrate this glorious event I went for a hike. One of the objectives was to try a different approach in lugging camera equipment along for miles on rough, muddy, rocky and steep trails without any mishaps or making the trek more difficult with the added gear. That part worked out great. Now I need to concentrate on remembering to check camera settings. Awhile back I had the white balance set wrong, this time it was the ISO setting. This gave me about 80 some odd pictures of no value. Good grief, will I ever learn? I am about ready to glue a note onto the back of the camera in big bold red letters: "Hey stupid,check your settings!"
So the pictures of the turkey vultures in flight, the coots and grebe on the lake and the coyotes in the field are all of poor quality. But I had a good time anyway and at least these of the turkeys are not too bad. I like the colors the sun brought out in their feathers.
Did you hear that?

This is when the coyote began to howl. I've heard coyotes many times but this one was eerie; just plain unnerving and scary sounding. It as if he or she was in pain, caught in a trap. I was cutting cross country through a large meadow when I spotted the first coyote. He was about three or four hundred yards away and wanted no part of me trotting away stopping frequently to check on my whereabouts. What I wasn't aware of while taking dozens of photos was that there was another coyote off to my right only a hundred yards from me.
Coyote number one...
...and number two.

Anyway, it was a grand day and I had a good time and fun hike under clear blue skies in spite of my inability to become friends with my camera. I'll try again soon.

10 comments:

  1. Great pictures:) I have only seen coyotes on tv, so this is special.
    You have another climate, landscape and animals than here, and it's warm too:)
    Looking forward to spring....
    Have a nice day:)
    Greetings, Berit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great turkey shots! You seemed so close. We hear coyotes at Panoche quite often, at least more than we see them. A friend told us they often announce a kill with a howl. Maybe these were frenemies just sending a greeting/warning. Sometimes there is a cacophony of voices. I think that mama coyote said, "Okay, you can practice howling now." They stop as suddenly as they start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate entirely to snapping away with the wrong settings... Give that camera one opportunity and it will bite me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The turkey vultures are - beautiful?? I guess they are! I would love to see these where I am but would also settle for a coyote. When we lived near Walnut Canyon we saw them regularly when we were out walking our dogs. Ours in Flag are very big and well fed looking, although I've seen a few smaller guys who are pretty cute, too. Probably not supposed to think that about coyotes but they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's neat you saw turkeys in the wild like that! I see coyote almost everyday, poor things though are usually skinny and scared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great wildlife shots. Looks like it was a good day. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about the settings. Been there done that. I've found that I have been so frustrated in some of my past shoots that I have learned to get better. I check more and more now, and also remember at the end of a shoot to put the setting back where I want them more often. Nice shots of these turkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the turkey shots, especially the second one, nice composition!
    And again about the camera...worry not, just takes time for the camera to get to know you :) I still have the settings wrong sometimes and i know how infuriating it can be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice post, so you saw animals up there. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.