A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, February 21, 2011

Snow

If it happens, this is about the extent of it for us near the inter coastal mountain range of the Pacific. This is a big deal and is the talk of the town until it melts away by the end of the day or next.

Here is my little patch on Sugarloaf Ridge behind my home. Elevation around 2000'

About 20 miles further north makes a big difference in the amount of white stuff. Elevation 2500'

Mt. St. Helena (not the volcano St. Helens, that's in Washington) is at 4344'.
This shot is just to the right of the above photo.

Here it is switched to black & white. Snow covered mountains are really dramatic in black & white I feel. Unfortunately these were taken later in the day when another front had moved in. Compare to the first shot when it was early in the day, clear and bright. Clouds too work well in black and white but these didn't seem to pop. Perhaps if I had used a filter it would be more interesting.



11 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures,and such fantastic mountains:)
    Have a nice week:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so beautiful. Great color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! Living on the prairie of South Dakota I so love seeing beautiful pictures of mountains.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice ladscapes, I'm no expert, but I have trouble with clouds too and I think it has more to do with the angle of the light coming through them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was lots of snow on the mountains above Santa Barbara and on the way to LA yesterday, too. It was gone by the afternoon when we returned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shots. No wonder the snow was the talk of the town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For anyone with a vehicle of any description, this is the best way to look at snow - from a distance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic shots!! Salut!!

    Francesc, Barcelona

    http://balapertotarreu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an expansive view you have, and beautiful too. those look like grapevines, and a lot of them! it's nice to have just enough snow to make things beautiful for a short time and then go away, but I sure would feel as though something was missing if I didn't get at least 3 months of it. and now I must go shovel my walk...again :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! Saw you and Sinbad around in blogland today (twice) so had to come follow you home. Love your kitty!!!

    Am looking forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for snow! If you like, I can send you all of ours!? ;o)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.