A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Enough With the Wind

Okay buddy, we'll get outta here.

We've been in Arches National Monument for the past several days. Two days ago the wind was something fierce but I didn't let it deter me to get some hiking in. Although I didn't put in that much mileage I was whooped afterwards. I think I was just beat up by the wind. Yesterday was much better with wind at half the speed, clear blue skies with off and on clouds. This made for much better picture taking but I wasn't about to repeat the previous hikes just to get better pictures. I had other arches to hike in to and see. By this morning I was arched out. Add to that lows in the 30's at night and windchill all day long, time for this boy and his cat to move on. Arches NM is a great place and I will return but at a better time of the year.

So what to do? I thought about revisiting Great Basin National Park on the Nevada/Utah border and do some hiking there among the bristle cone pines. Then we could take my much loved Highway 50 across Nevada slowly making our way back home. We left Arches this morning and I saw at the visitors center they were expecting rain tomorrow. Good time to go. I was able to get online in Green River Utah and do a weather check for Great Basin. Snow and lows of 26 degrees. Yikes! I tried to think of other places to hang out then go home through Reno over Donner Pass. Reno weather for this weekend...rain, snow and added yuck. I do not want to be driving in that! The only thing left to do is head south. For warmth we'd have to return to where this adventure all began, the low deserts of Arizona (too far away) or...the place where I have had more misadventures than I care to have, Death Valley. But it will be 75 on up to 87 there the next few days and less mileage out of the way to return home. So at the present, that is what we will do. Drove 305 miles today and overnighting in Cedar City Utah. Tomorrow through Las Vegas. Not looking forward to that.


It snowed last night! Oh my, we might die!
"Twizzle, twazzle, twozzle, twome - time for these two to come home."




5 comments:

  1. Oh boy. Traffic thru Vegas... Yikes!

    But that wind and rain and freezing temps? Not fun! Poor Sinbad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Head south, sounds like a plan. Sinbad will find a dark closet, or the seat beside you and sleep thru it all. In my area today it is cold, and pouring down rain. They say spring is around the corner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my. Sinbad looks annoyed. cats don't like wind, and neither do I. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the pics you're taking. the weather is weird all over the nation. storm after storm rolling through. we had 24 hours of rain but the northern parts of the state got 17" of snow. thunderstorms, you name it, we've had it all. it's SPRING, and that means a mixing of mild and cold, so anything's possible. thanks for the pic of Sinbad. I got my fix now. have a safe trip back and be well. give Sinbad a kiss for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprised I didn't see any vintage outboard motors strapped next to the bicycle.

    But seriously, that's a mighty fine photo of Sinbad -- great reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have had snow on your trip:)
    Looks like an exciting trip.
    Nice to have you back on blog again:)
    Wishing you a great weekend, and thanks for nice comment in my blog:)
    Greetings from,
    Berit.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.