A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Saturday, April 9, 2011

Evening at Picacho

I went for another walkabout in the desert in the late afternoon waiting for the sunset,

and soon got caught up in looking for dead saguaro after seeing this one.
The pattern in the wood was wonderful, and I really wanted a closer shot.
The thick growth of catsclaw made this extremely interesting to accomplish.
Think of the claws on a cat and that is exactly what the thorns of this bush is like.
It will rip clothing to shreds. It is sometimes called the wait-a-minute bush
 because you'll be walking along, get caught on it and say
 "wait-a-minute" while trying to unhook the thorns from your clothing.
This is as close as I could get.

I finally sat down on this dead soldier to wait for the sunset that never really happened.

9 comments:

  1. love how the sun painted those woods for you! and neat structure on that saguaro skeleton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing as much as your photos. these long-shadow images are wonderful with that light. never heard of "wait a minute" but it put a smile on my face and made me chuckle. great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful color and lighting.
    I don't think I've ever seen a dead Saquaro, nor did I know that they a partially made of wood. It does have wonderful texture and structure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You caught some wonderful golden light in these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful light in these photos. Didn't Indians use the inside of dead saguaros for overhead shelter? Tnink I read that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the remains of the dead cactus. I used to have them in my yard when I lived in Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The remains of anything out there would be neat to see, and I bet you see it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy your desert photos as we do not see anything like it here in Iowa. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My wife thought I had tweaked these pictures in a photoshop program as they appeared too orangey. I had a hard time convincing her it was simply the late afternoon light. Colors like this we just don't get at home in Sonoma County Calif. This is just one of the reasons why the desert is so magical to me - the light in the early morning and late evening. I would never grow tired of it if I lived in the desert.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.