A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Outside Quartzsite

We crossed the border into Arizona, the land of the saguaro cacti that I think are so wonderful. I planned to camp at Quartzsite but away from all the mayhem with the snowbirder lot. Its just too many people for our liking. I knew of a place where few of the winter RV'ers go since it is so far away from the ongoing flea market festivities. After a store stop in town I drive over the overpass, make a left turn and not paying attention I turn onto the interstate instead of the frontage road just beyond! Normally this wouldn't be a big deal except there is no off ramp from the highway for 7 plus miles! I drive along looking off to the right as my desired campsite along the frontage road passes by into the distance behind me. Grrr. Now I have to go on, then come back 7 miles and drive back up the frontage 3 or 4 miles again. Well it all turned out for the best. The turnoff had a dirt road which led to an ideal flat spot a few hundred yards from the highway and there we camped among the saguaro all by ourselves. Sinbad and I were happy.

The sunset wasn't too exciting but I put it onto the blog anyway at the time and you can see it here.

Here are a few early evening shots trying to do something with the flash while waiting for a sunset.

7 comments:

  1. I really like the flash photos. The light-up of the foreground is beautiful, and the background sky is dreamy. it puts me right there, to know how that sunset felt as it was going down. extraordinary shots John Lee. just extraordinary. I'm really enjoying these photos from your recent road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really great shots. love that your wrong turn brought you to someplace right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot of the saguaro, and I really like how the flash lit up the bushin front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife has a couple of "Senior" sisters who spend several days each winter in Quartsite and are always telling us about it. Never been there - yet. I'm like you though, I doubt if I'll spend a night in with all the snowbirds. I'm not comfortable with big crowds of strangers.

    I'm glad my tutorial helped you in your desire to add links. Although it was really written so you could add a link in a comment like I just did, it works wherever html is used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not much to this town but you captured some really good shots of the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate the comments. Thanks. You've got that right Randy, it is not much of a town. They don't even have a decent grocery store. Just two small places that barely meets the needs. I assume the snowbirds know well enough to bring everything they need for their stay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any mice to be found for Sinbad?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.