The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Contrabrando

If I thought that little adobe a couple days ago reminded me of a Sergio Leone movie set this here was the real deal. The highway was following along the Rio Grande when we rounded a turn and here was a real live movie set squeezed in between the road and the river. I had all I could do to stop the Little House on the Highway and find a decent place to park. It was built in 1985 and nine different movies had been filmed on the set. Believe me, I was just ga-ga walking around here.
I could imagine riders and their horses coming down the street and tying up to this rail.

In one movie this was a trading post and the site of a fierce shoot-out



It looked to be a cantina in another movie as a bar-like counter remained.

Other buildings were added to the set for the movies to follow.

The church and side building were a couple.

The inside of the church. Only the facade was needed. Interior shots were done in a studio no doubt.

The movies the set was used for,
1985 Uphill All the Way 
1993 Rio Diablo
1994 Gambler V: Playing for Keeps
1995 Streets of Loredo*
1995 My Maria
1996 Dead Man's Walk
2000 The Journeyman

* Sissy Spacek was in this movie. OMG! I walked where Sissy Spacek walked! My life is complete.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh this morning! Better than coffee!!!

    The set looks amazing. Love those little adobe buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very interesting, I'd love to visit this place (not because of Sissy Spacek)! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another funny post from you John:))
    ..and lucky you who visited this place, and took so many great pictures:)
    Have a nice day:)
    Greetings from,
    Berit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in heaven here looking at these photos. my favorite genre of movies is The Western. no matter what I'm in the middle of I will always stop what I'm doing to sit down for a western. I'm wondering if there could be any more beautiful place on earth than what you drove through on this trip. and I'm really loving that black and white shadow shot. put that one on your wall. I love all those contemporary footprints in the "bar". from all the different viewpoints and angles it looks like you covered this location fairly well. I haven't seen any of the movies but my Netflix queue just grew by a few. that shot of the cross is divine. and I'm happy that your life is now complete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "shoot out" photo is the BEST! The composition, colors, and of course your great stories. Sissy is neat, I like her too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great thing to see in person. Excellent photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, how fun! that looks like so much fun to explore and photograph. The bw's are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun little place to explore. Great setting. I love the cliffs in the background. The sets look quite real on the outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only the locals are missing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You felt complete and we enjoy your interesting pics - a perfect deal;-)) Hugs from Luzia.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.