The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Leaving Big Bend N.P.

I decided it was time to move on. We would leave a different route than we came in on. I took the long side trip (in and back out about 40 some miles) to Saint Elena and was glad I did for here was how I had imagined the Rio Grande to look like.
This was the place for river rafters take out from. They begin their journey 13 miles up river at Lajitas and float through the narrow canyon with 1500 foot high walls taking 3 days to do so. I bet they see some pretty spectacular scenery.

In the other direction away from the river was this tall butte,

 with someones abandoned homestead beneath it.


This guy felt it worthy to sketch in his journal. I agree.
 
After many miles and nearly half the day, we passed the Big Bend Park boundary. It is a big place, one I will return to again someday.

11 comments:

  1. SUCH beauty! Can you imagine living at that homestead at one time? Wow. Rugged but awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last two photos best. It looks like an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place is stunning!!!
    I'm glad you decided to take a shot of the guy and his sketch. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful scenery! It would inspire me to sketch, and I have no such talent! That first photo is just breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You captured the look and feel beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Majestic images, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the canyon walls in those first photos and I really would like to raft that. wondering if they ever have flash floods. it seems very narrow. the rocks are such a gorgeous color. your capture of the man sketching is one of the most intimate of all your photos and I like it a whole lot. it's wonderful. perfection really.
    and I want that Texas wind chime. did you get to hear how it sounded in the wind?

    ReplyDelete
  8. of all the blogs I visit yours is my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad and lonely to see an abandoned homestead. Big Bend is a majestic park.
    Cute windchime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A huge place! I did not realize this. I at first thought this to be you drawing the sights! The Texas Windchime is sure a conversation piece. I enjoy your posts, you write well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that Texas Wind chime...that area is so different from here, I wonder would I ever get used to it. I would love to have the opportunity to experience it at least.

    I was wondering if you had ever did any more art. I remembered a while back you got back to doing a little. So typed in sketch in the search.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.