A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, May 2, 2011

Touring Around Big Bend N.P.

Went for a little drive the next day and came across this horse right away. I am not a horse person but if I had one it would be one of these, a paint. He was free to roam. He was also creating a horse jam with other cars stopping to admire him. My guess is he belonged to the Mexican folk on the other side of the river, got loose, wandered away and now his owner cannot come across to retrieve him. Maybe he'll go back home when he tires of his wanderlust. Ain't he a beauty?
Imagine how beautiful this will be when it blooms out.
Bad lighting so what do you do? Make a black & white silhouette out of it.
Mickey Mouse Cactus. Very rare.
Came across this telephone by itself in the desert. Kind of bizarre. Why put a phone here?
I just love adobe buildings. So simple.
I have always dreamed of having my own little adobe retreat in the desert somewhere,
far removed from civilization.
This was being restored if I remember correctly. Sorry, but I cannot locate my notes on it. You can see the row of adobe bricks lying in the sun to the left of the building.
This immediately made me think of a Sergio Leone spaghetti western movie set.
Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, and Lee Van Cleef had just left.

13 comments:

  1. oh yes. the good, the bad, and the ugly and a fistful of dollars too! :)

    pretty country but harsh too. you can keep your adobe in the middle of nowhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beauty of a horse! I would of sat for hours watching to see what happen. What open eyes you have to notice Mickey out there in the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a fun post to peruse. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like your black and white photo of the adobe house with the shadows just right. My mother lived in an adobe house in very rural northern New Mexico. She remembered making the adobe brick to build the house. A different culture, a different era, yet the house still stands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. more fantastic photos John. I sure do like that paint. Since my first visit to N.M. more than a dozen years ago I've dreamed of living in an adobe house in the middle of the desert and having a paint. I was immediately enamored with the minimal landscape and the colors, as you've shown here. It was like nothing I had ever seen before, living all my life in lush Wisconsin.
    I wonder how many calls are made from that phone. Or to it. You didn't happen to get the number did you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the beautiful horse had enjoyed his moments of freedom.
    Mickey Mouse is everywhere! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know nothing about horses, but that's a really pretty horse! And that adobe building - how perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the phone in the middle of nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures John. It's like from a western movie this beautiful landscape. I like it more and more:))
    Have a great day:)
    Greetings from,
    Berit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got some of my favourite subject matter in here; horses, desert and adobe buildings. Great shots as always! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. After seeing this photos I really want to go and explore this area. Love the horse photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your comments. I have some more, what I think interesting, pictures to come up as the trip progresses so hang in there with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You found some interesting scenes. Love that Mickey Mouse cactus!
    I like the paint horse's color. He looks a little lonely out there all by himself.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.