A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Thursday, May 26, 2011

Wall Arch Collapse

Wall Arch was the most recent collapse of an arch in the monument. I remember reading about it a couple years ago and definitely wanted to see it for myself.

Some of the trails in Arches N.M. follow along these sandstone ridges, or fins as they are called.
They are a bit unnerving for you cannot ignore the drop-offs on each side. Of course the photos do not really show how it is, but trust me, it is a long way down. Notice the well worn path down the center which gives one the feeling of walking a tightrope although it is really not even close to being that narrow.

But for this poor man, he had to get on his hands and knees to feel safe. Meanwhile his wife had scampered on ahead like a little chipmunk. You can see her waiting at the top.

It only bothered me in the sense that I was thinking about what I had to hike on and completely missed Wall Arch off to the side. I noticed it on the way back down when I saw this cabled off area and the signs. Being the curious person that I am I investigated it and discovered this was the remains of Wall Arch.


Where it broke free from. Wouldn't that be something to have witnessed? I wondered of the sound it must have created.

I had forgotten to include this photo from the Landscape Arch post of a couple days ago. I thought it pretty amazing that this fellow captured it as it occured.

7 comments:

  1. It's sad to know the collapse is still ongoing.
    I don't think I'd be brave enough to explore this place. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your photos. I really am enjoying your trip vicariously. This New Englander must go West!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating landscape, and very beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're right about the photos not really making the drop-offs apparent. it doesn't look that bad, but I'll take your word for it. do you think if there was no one there to hear it fall that the arch still made a sound? aw, had to. again, I'm loving the smoothness of the rocks. this trip must have been a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great post , very interesting I bet the rumble was pretty loud brave guy to stand there and take a pic. I think I would have ran !

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thought was running through my mind all the time, "I can't believe the Park Service is encouraging people to traverse what is in my mind some risky terrain." Especially after seeing some who were totally out of their element trasping along as if they were out shopping in the mall.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.