A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Saturday, June 4, 2011

Going Home

We took Highway 395, my favorite highway in California, which skirts along the eastern side of the High Sierra mountains. When covered with snow the mountain range always provides stunning photographic opportunities. Ansel Adams knew this. Ansel Adams I am not.

Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48. What appears to be the taller mountain is not Whitney. Whitney is to the right of the jagged spires in the center of the photo.
I am proud to say I once climbed to the top.
Once was enough.

Manzanar, the Japanese relocation center of WW2.


It is difficult for me to not convert all these shots into black and white.
I feel black and white works so well with snow covered mountains.

This is looking eastward at I believe the White Mountains where the Bristlecone Pines live.
I took so many mountain pictures through the windshield that day I kind of lost track.

Highway 395 never has that much traffic. Nice.


Mono Lake which I am happy to report is ever so slowly rising back to a respectable level after a lengthy court battle with the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power to curb the diversion flow of water feeding the lake down to Los Angeles, which they have done over the past several decades.

Just west of Donner Pass on Interstate 80 and very happy we missed the blizzard a few days before.

Four hours later we were home and in the company of my dear wife who I missed very much.
We had covered 4665 miles in that one month with the Little House on the Highway
averaging 18.1 mpg. You can't beat that for a motorhome.
Thank you all for following along with us as we relived our journey through the southwest.
Sinbad and I appreciate all the comments you left.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know you are back to your wife! I'm sure Sinbad is happy too.
    It was so fun to follow your adventures and see the photos of the amazing places you've been during your journey. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those snow-covered mountains are just gorgeous! such a great sight to see welcoming you back to your home territory!

    jeepers! NOW what are you going to blog about?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos do look Ansel Adams-ish, especially the black and white ones. The scenery is spectacular.
    Donner Pass is one place I'd really want to avoid being in a blizzard. Glad you missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and thanks for taking us along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO! I don't want this story to end. It's been a marvelous trip along with you and Sinbad. I didn't realize you were gone that long, it's no wonder you were missing your wife! I just realized something while looking at these latest photos. When you mentioned Ansel Adams, I had an Aha! moment. You know I love your black and white photos, every one of them blows me away. And they remind me of his. A.A's I mean. The third photo is a jaw-dropper.
    I'm happy you made it home safely with Sinbad all in one piece and not blown away by the winds. And I truly look forward to your next road trip. I loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donner Pass is one of my mom's favorite drives too. Great photos. Thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your number one shot in this series is very beautiful. I could look at it all day. What a trip you had, and that Sinbad did so well with you on the road. I like the WW2 relocation center photo too. The tower and mountains all seem to set it off. I will definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see snow, wow....and these mountains are really beautiful. I also think pictures with snow is great in black and white.
    Wish you and Sinbad a great week dear blogfriend:)
    Greetings from,
    Berit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantasic photos! I will have to get out there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad I found you and Sinbad....thanks for my little vicarious holiday ..... it was great!
    I'm sure you will still be posting great photos and fun conversation from right around where you are .... when we are actually taking note, or looking for it, there is always something to photograph.... always......

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.