A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, June 26, 2011

It is a Tough Cruel World Out There

During our little Father's Day walk we took in the park, this Pipevine Swallowtail butterfly flittered about us in slow motion. Once he landed we could see why. It appears he had an close encounter with a bird who snipped off the trailing edge of his wing. Now he will become an easy catch for the next bird who happens by. So goes the life and death struggle in Nature, where the peaceful butterfly always come out on the losing end.

5 comments:

  1. yup. pretty defenseless i guess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often wondered what happens after this. Does it heal or do they die. I hope it heals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, fragility and beauty. it may not have a chance, but then again, it might. butterflies have been known to survive losing a part of their wing. (I just learned this in a master gardener course). it does make them more vulnerable that's true. this one is certainly beautiful. did you get that lens? I'm with your wife on this one - do it if you haven't yet. have a fun day John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Survival of the fittest.
    I hate it when this happens.
    Here today, gone tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor thing! The other day my dog ate a lizard. I was telling him "No" and he was standing there looking at me with the lizard's tail hanging out of his mouth. Your butterfly made me think of that.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.