A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Thursday, June 2, 2011

Pupfish Love

I took the turn-off to Salt Creek and once on the miserable washboard road I realized "Oh, I remember this. Gee, I don't want to go here again" but I was committed for there is no place to turn the Little House on the Highway around until I got to the parking area a couple miles in. Once there though I was glad I came. There was more water flowing than I had ever seen before which meant scads of little pupfish swimming about. Here is the sign telling the story of the pupfish.

Look at all of them!

I put on my new 70-300mm VR lens and was very pleased with the close-ups I could get without scaring them off.

The Beach Boys sang "Two girls for every boy" but in the world of pupfish it looks like you can double that figure.

Isn't he a handsome fellow?

This sign tells more about the little fishes.

I enjoyed watching the male above defend his territory from intruding males. The action was so fast and furious and I never was able to get a picture of it.
 When a female came along though he became serious and quickly got to the business of making babies.

"Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I swim by again?"

"I am in puppy love with you."

"Was it as good for you as it was for me?"

8 comments:

  1. An interesting little natural history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh they are cute! look like little muted color goldfish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. Never heard of a pupfish before and neither has my spell checker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippe, so great to see the pupfish. Last time I was there taking photos, it was with a little cheap film camera, and the fish looked like twigs. You certainly nailed the effect. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that's a nice lens. the colors of the male are very nice, and there's no similarity between the male and female colors. I expect that in birds but not fish. I learned something new today. the grand pupfish and it's interesting struggle to adapt and survive. who knew? love the light in that first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The males are very pretty. I'm sure the females have trouble resisting their charms.
    Cute post, and interesting info, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are awesome! Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice (and interesting) set John! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.