A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, June 20, 2011

Under Construction

To me this is what it looks like - something under construction.

This is the Mount Sutro Tower in San Francisco. It was built in 1973 and is used to transmit the signals of the Bay Area television stations, several FM radio stations and other communication services. The proposed construction in 1971 met with a lot of local resistance which many felt would be an eyesore for the city. Today it is mostly tolerated although the original design called for white lights rising upward along the three legs. That didn't last long after a lot of complaining so they were turned off and never used again. I think that would look pretty cool, but then I don't live anyway near it. The tower stands atop one of the highest peaks in the city and when coastal fog is blown in it is the only part of San Francisco that can be seen.

7 comments:

  1. i hope they still have lights at the top to warn the airplanes and the UFO pilots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. under construction. or other-worldly. I've been watching a lot of sci-fi movies lately so that's where my mind goes when I see something like this. it's a bit ironic that it's the only thing visible in a fog storm. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'd like looking at this daily. but I suppose there are worse things to see. it's been there a good long time now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet they don't complain about the aerial signals they receive, but I shouldn't talk. I'm always griping about towers and poles that get in the way of a shot I'm trying to take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look unfinished up there. If build in 1973, it may soon be, if it's not already, obsolete in today's technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen that poking out of the fog a few times. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can always count on you for history!
    Gee you can always take out the towers and lines in a photo, but it is a hassle. I like that you left it in the photograph.
    I bet the UFOS get around it very easily...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can understand why it wouldn't be popular.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.