A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Earthquake!

San Miguel Mission who has seen its fair share of earthquakes over the past few hundred years.

We had an earthquake last night at 9:56 pm. It was a small one registering only 2.2, yet it hit with a sharp jolt, making the house groan a little and really getting our attention. The quake was centered only a mile to the west of us in my Annadel Park playground at a depth of 2.9 miles. That is very very shallow and closer than we have ever been to the epicenter. Something like this makes you think. We have been through many notable earthquakes in our lives in both northern and southern California. But the experts say we are long overdue for the "big one" which will occur within the next 30 years, guaranteed. And it will be 6.6 or greater. Are we prepared? No. There is no way to adequately prepare for the unknown. We could do everything humanly possible to be ready, but if that baby were to hit a mile west of us at 2.9 miles below the surface, this blog would be history.

Incidentally, you folks in the other parts of the country can keep your hurricanes and tornadoes, we'll take our earthquakes any day.
Have a nice day.


6 comments:

  1. I would take an earthquake any day than endure hurricanes and tornadoes! Wow, you must of felt this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i guess we all deal with whatever mother nature decides to throw at us. like drought or flood too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We heard this BOOM! and jumped up. But I must admit I didn't think 'quake--I thought the Yankees were firing on Atlanta again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I don't know, does it have to be a choice of either/or? I've never experienced an earthquake, and yet I grew up practically on top of a fault zone that had four of the largest North American earthquakes ever recorded. the last one several years ago woke my brother and his family at 4 in the morning. no matter where we live, there will be natural disasters, there is no escape. I always wanted to experience a hurricane - in a safe and secure spot that is. yeah, I'm a bit nuts I guess. destruction? no one ever wants to see that. glad you're safe and no serious damage. it must have been a bit nerve-wracking though, because once warned that the "big one" could be coming at any time, well, any little tremor will wire you, I'm sure. be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've felt the earth sway a few times, once in L.A., and once in Salt Lake City. It's scary and exciting all at once, but I wouldn't want to be too close when the "big one" hits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, well I know it was a small one but I'm sure glad to know that you're alright!

    We get earthquakes here, too. We have a bylaw that keeps anybody from building anything higher than four stories because of this.

    Many people think of the Yukon is a cold and horribly weathered place to live. While we do get the occasional extreme temps, our weather is very moderate and relatively calm. We rarely even get big snow storms, and NEVER any hurricanes or tornadoes... not even ice storms. Just some cold. You stay inside, as long as the power doesn't go out you're pretty safe. Of course... power goes out every few weeks. lol

    It's all a give and take scenario, no matter where you go. You trade off some good for some bad and hopefully find a place where the balance works for YOU! :o)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.