A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Thursday, July 21, 2011

Landmark Gardens

It all started out as a trip up to Sugarloaf Ridge State Park across from home, to take my new macro lens out for some exercise along the creek that flows through the park. I turned off the highway and right on into the Landmark Winery parking lot.
I never got any further.

I do not care for wine, yet I live right in the heart of the Sonoma wine producing area. What can I say? So maybe I don't like wine, but I do like the gardens that many of the wineries have, and these here along Highway 12 in the Valley of the Moon are no exception.

Their gardens are a riot full of color.

I do not know my flowers that well so just enjoy.

These though I do know, Shasta Daisy "invented" by our very own famous horticulturalist
Luther Burbank (1849-1926) who lived right here in Santa Rosa. 

The gardener for Landmark (what a great job) mentioned to me while watering,
 that the yellow flowers all photograph better under cloudy skies.
I'll have to give that a try and see as they do look a bit off,
or maybe I am imagining it since he said something.

More tomorrow.


.

8 comments:

  1. NICE grounds is right! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I am totally loving this one! Very nice. If it were me I would of sat down with some wine, and stayed awhile. Super post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Looks like it was a great day just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you're really doing a good job with that new macro lens. Can't wait to see some more John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you were going to write that you got no further because you never got out of the tasting room until dark or something like that. I can see why you got waylaid in these gardens. my favorite shot is the second one - with the umbrellas. it's a dandy. and I've always loved Shasta Daisies. they don't last very long, but love em. okay, I'm looking forward to seeing what tomorrow brings by way of your camera lens. these are happy shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO happy to kind another lover of flowers who does not know all of the botanical names for them. I feel so ignorant times, but I just keep plugging along. Daisies have always been my favorites to shoot and pick for the house. Your shots from the winery gardens are beautiful...a lovely variety full of vibrant color. Genie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing garden! I would probably had to have tried the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers and garden. Love it:)
    Have a nice weekend:)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.