A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mystery Tree


I went for a hike yesterday and did something different in search for new adventure. Instead of sticking to the well-worn beaten path I turned onto an animal trail I saw curving down the steep slope off to my left. The trail led me well into the forest where it certainly looked like no human had been through in a long time. After awhile I stopped for a drink of water and just happened to turn around and saw this tree behind me about 50 feet off the animal path.


Each of these boards were like the first, made from roughly hewn wood. Each had about a dozen very old rusty nails holding them into place on the tree. The boards stopped at a point where one could use the branches from then on. Why? Why would someone long ago want to climb this tree, a tree in the middle of the forest? The climb alone would be frightening to say the least. As far as I could figure there is nothing to be gained but a great view and a broken neck.

9 comments:

  1. what a cool mystery! i take it you did not try to climb it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...traigo
    sangre
    de
    la
    tarde
    herida
    en
    la
    mano
    y
    una
    vela
    de
    mi
    corazón
    para
    invitarte
    y
    darte
    este
    alma
    que
    viene
    para
    compartir
    contigo
    tu
    bello
    blog
    con
    un
    ramillete
    de
    oro
    y
    claveles
    dentro...


    desde mis
    HORAS ROTAS
    Y AULA DE PAZ


    COMPARTIENDO ILUSION
    SINBAD

    CON saludos de la luna al
    reflejarse en el mar de la
    poesía...




    ESPERO SEAN DE VUESTRO AGRADO EL POST POETIZADO DE STAR WARS, CARROS DE FUEGO, MEMORIAS DE AFRICA , CHAPLIN MONOCULO NOMBRE DE LA ROSA, ALBATROS GLADIATOR, ACEBO CUMBRES BORRASCOSAS, ENEMIGO A LAS PUERTAS, CACHORRO, FANTASMA DE LA OPERA, BLADE RUUNER ,CHOCOLATE Y CREPUSCULO 1 Y2.

    José
    Ramón...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like mysteries:))) Maybe they were hunting, or they had a plan building a cabin in the tree?
    Have a nice weekend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice perspective of the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A deer stand for hunting? I've seen similar ones, although they usually have a better ladder. The stand itself may have fallen down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well I'm scratching my head at what Jose Ramon wrote AND the tree. I would be so tempted to climb it. but it looks almost impossible to do. I bet there is a way though. yes it's a mystery, but someone, at one time or another, DID climb that tree using those boards. I must know more. great perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is a tree for escape. You were off the beaten path where animals wander. What if a Mountain Lion came? Would you climb the tree or run or stand still? Maybe there is a better view up there. Yeah, what would it take for you to climb it? Wearing a helmet of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My guess is kids. Kids will do things that make grown ups wonder in puzzlement. Looks like a great hike!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This mystery fascinates me John. Thanks for including this photo and story. Oh to be a fly on the branch (wall.)

    One thing I thought of was that the ladder wouldn't support my weight or many peoples' weights today with obesity being an issue.

    I exclude you from that category however. You still have your boyish figure and I marvel at folks like you that are able to remain the same stable weight as when they kids. Those days ended for me when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.