A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, July 1, 2011

A New Lens

It seems I just do not have the time to ride my motorcycles as much anymore. I've cultivated new interests during the past year. It was a shame for them to just sit, unused, so last week I sold my Honda 450. I still have one motorcycle. So now with a fistful of dollars, what to do? I decided to get a 105mm macro lens. It arrived yesterday (why does the UPS truck run late on the days you are anxiously waiting for something?). I rushed outside and took these shots all about 18 inches or so away from two inch wide California Poppy.

The first photo, hand held in between gusts of wind.
I went back inside to get my tripod as the flower was moving in and out of focus with my not being able to hold the camera steady.

For the next shot a visitor arrived.

He moved into a better position. Thank you little fly.

I cropped the photo to see how it would turn out.

Here I thought I'd try blowing up the photo even more.

The next shot...

which I also cropped some.
I am quite pleased with the lens as it will open up a whole new world of photographic opportunities.
 I just need to work at it, learn how to use it better and keep practicing so the lens can really shine.


14 comments:

  1. Excellent photography, amazing colors. You made me think that I need to look around for a new lense myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! you're armed and dangerous now!!! love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, how fun! Looks like you're doing a good job with it too. I'm thinking about a wide angle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures and wonderful colors!!!! I enjoyed them so much!!!! And I also liked the story.

    And I can understand how it can be difficult to take pictures when there is the wind. I never were able completely to "freeze" the movement of flowers. Right now I am learning how to use a tripod. Not yet successful with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a lense:)) ...and great pictures:))
    You have many great pictures here since last time I visited your blog, and it looks like your interested in cykling.
    Tomorrow starts Tour de France and my boy friend love this race...me, I like to see the different places the race are visiting:)
    Have a great weekend dear blogfriend:)
    Greetings from,
    Berit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wowee...that does get up close and personal now....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! You're going to have a lot of fun with that lens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lense, and what a motorcycle!! Look out...and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great backdrop for your motorcycle shot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, you're having fun now! I love the depth of these images. and I'll forgive you the color of the flower. :) there is nothing bad about yellow flowers, no way - I'm simply not fond of them is all. all flowers are beautiful, and don't these photos prove that. my favorite is the final one - the shadow of that bug is...well, spectacular isn't even enough of a description. I want a new lens too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Visiting you from Sunflower Snaps this morning. The photo of your bike caught my eye. Used to ride alot. Now, not so much. *sigh*

    I considered acquiring a macro lens for my Nikon, but the prices discouraged me. I opted for a set of close-up lenses to attach to my kit lens instead and I'm pretty happy with them.

    I am excited for you as you start this new adventure in macros. It's alot of fun. Love your first shots. Impressed at the quality. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lighting and colors are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos! What kind of camera? I have a Nikon and I use a 105mm macro for photographing flowers.

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.