A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, July 15, 2011

No Butterflies

Peely bark of the Madrone tree.

Here the lens really showed it's stuff. I see I need to be aware of what is in the background though.
The other stalk of grass detracts from the main subject somewhat.
I wasn't even aware of the gossamer webs until I got home and saw them in the photo.



These next two I was really surprised they came out as well as they did what with all the movement from the breeze blowing. Of course there were a lot of shots that didn't make the cut.


So all of these photos are a result of my finding no butterflies at my butterfly waterhole yesterday.
The water had all dried up.
But the new macro lens got a good workout nonetheless.

13 comments:

  1. beautiful bark curls. must be a neat tree.

    love the last yellow bloom. is it some sort of swamp mallow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Прекрасные фотографии! Ваш объектив потрудился на славу! Хороших выходных!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific close ups. I take it they were not taken "through the windshield!" I'm wondering what kind of lens you used. Love the DoF in all of these. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos and colors. In some, I like the mottled background more than the primary image. What exactly is your camera and lens? I may have to upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen a peely bark before, very interesting!
    Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these are extraordinary photos. each one. I especially like the curling bark - never before heard of that tree. and the last image is over-the-top gorgeous. nice lens, but I happen to believe it's the guy behind the lens who knows what he's doing with the lens to get these photos. just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of them. What macro lens did you get? The curling bark looks like peeling paint. I just love close-ups. It pulls you into a new world. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the curls, colors and upclose shots. My favorite is bark curls. Quite a vision there...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely set and don't be too critical about the background I think it sometimes adds rather than detracts your last image proves this theory, it's fab!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing tree. I love the color of the bark. Wonderful color in all of these actually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are magnificent, every one! I think the first one is my favourite but I do really like them all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are some of the best bark photos I have seen, well done.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.