A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Saturday, August 20, 2011

Apples or Cellphones

On a hike yesterday I took off cross country through the tall dried grasses staying away from the well-used trails. There in the middle of a large meadow, upon a bare outcropping of rock I found what is definitely Mountain Lion scat.  I see a lot of other scat but here for sure this was Mountain Lion. I thought it interesting that he/she chose the bare rock to do their business rather than in the dirt like a regular domestic cat would, or even just in the grass itself.

For size reference I placed my cellphone alongside. I couldn't think of anything else to use and I wasn't about to set my apple next to it.
Would you?

I long for the day to actually see the cat. Even just a Bobcat I would be happy.
Now I am wondering if that may have been Bobcat scat. I so want to believe Mountain Lion.


8 comments:

  1. laughing at the thought of you weighing whether to set your phone down or your snack... ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, what Theresa said!!! so...is the scat the only thing you photographed on this hike?????
    happy Saturday to you John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL ... enjoy your humor!
    And I'm assuming whether a mountain lion or bobcat, both are more afraid of you than you them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL... don't think I've ever seen a shot of scat posted...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The phone was probably a better choice. I would love to do some large cat photos as long as each of us kept our distances!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hummm .... very intersting ... LOL! Yeah, that's a big cat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it was a crappy day, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I have to say this is one unique blog post. I certainly never thought I'd be analyzing poop in my search through the blogs today.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.