A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Historic H Ranch, Point Reyes CA.


Early settlers in the 1850's recognized the opportunity to raise dairy cattle on the Point Reyes peninsula with it's cool moist climate providing rich grazing lands all year long. But the Franciscan missionaries were the first to introduce feral cattle to this area in 1817. Today Marin Sun Farms raises grass-fed, hormone/antibiotic-free stock on 3,500 acres of mostly certified organic pasture.

There were several working dairy farms of the historic H ranch within the Point Reyes National Seashore and this barn, no longer used, stood out on the furthest reaches of the peninsula north of the San Francisco Golden Gate. This remote end is designated for the Tule Elk who live here thus the dairy cattle are excluded yet the barn and ranch house still remain.


It was a dreary foggy day out along the coast. Converting the first photo into black and white brought out messiness in the sky not visible in the color photo. I couldn't figure out what it was or how to fix it, but being determined to have in it black and white, here it is. 
For more better (like that?) barn photos, click on Bluff Area Daily

11 comments:

  1. I like the foggy feeling in both versions of your barn. Also like the raven shots. I'll try your technique for getting them as they fly away. And while I'm at it - love your banner. Nice blog - I'll keep an eye on it!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like the noise in the sky... seems to add some texture that is missing in the second version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I like the foggy feel of this photo. Just makes it more pretty. And love that barn looks like it is very well maintained.

    Red Charm

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cool barn! love the rock pilings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the misterious atmosphere on the first shot! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your b&w image has a painted like quality about it that I really like and I like the subdued color in the second as well as the angle you choose. :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That barn sure has a different look to it...and looks so well built. So glad you linked it here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, this is rich. I see what you mean about the sky, but I don't believe it detracts from the photo in any way. that is one photogenic barn. I love the way you framed the photo. yep. one of those photos I look at and immediately say to myself "damn, wish I would have taken that". those dreary foggy days are the best for capturing moody and introspective scenes and I think you did a fantastic job. I'm glad they only do organic grass-fed beef. have you ever had any? great photos John. oh yes. happy evening to you. I was gone from the house all day, but IT RAINED!!! happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an amazing barn. Nice captures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when the history of the these old barns is included in the post & that's one beautiful & very looong barn! The funky sky looks kinda like an HDR photo w/ the 'halo' around the tree. ;)

    Thanks so much for joining in & linking up to this week's Barn Charm =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an absolutely fabulous barn! Great shot. I love shooting in black and white.

    NoteworthyMusings

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.