A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Napa - Sonoma Marsh Wildlife Perserve

Yesterday I went to check out a new area for some possible bird photos. This was at a wildlife refuge, the Napa-Sonoma Marsh which is at the upper north end of the San Francisco Bay tidal flats.

There were very few of the residents around and naturally, everyone was at the furthest reaches of the ponds, 300mm and 50% cropped away.

I talked with a birder who was riding his bicycle along the levee. Smart guy. I'll bring my bicycle next time. He told me the best time to come is during high tide, then a lot of the shorebirds along the bay move inland. Winter time there would be more birds, he said. I wondered if I can do winter?

So I continued my walk under gray skies, finding only this old Tiger Swallowtail to photograph. The trailing edge of his wings are a bit ragged and a lot of the scales are gone. Poor old guy.
But it was a nice, peaceful and quiet place only a 45 minute drive from home.

Well there was this squeaky old thing. 
The grinding of metal reminded me of a Sergio Leone spaghetti western with Clint Eastwood.
A nice touch for atmosphere. I liked that.

11 comments:

  1. oh, love that landscape shot. very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That windmill shot is just awesome ... LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of a squeaking windmill turning in the breeze. that's a fantastic shot too. I also love that first water shot with the light on the water broken up by the birds. a great series of shots John. next time take your bike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shots, and like the blog also.

    Great Swalowtail, btw.

    Thanks for stopping by my blogs, and the lovely comment.
    Yoke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a nice drive/day. LOVE that windmill shot! I'm on a bw roll lately, guess I'm sending vibes your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, the Napa River area. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful landscape.
    Many thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The windmill does add great atmosphere to a beautiful scene. That squeaky sound brings back my childhood when the stable where I kept my ponies ran a windmill to fill the trough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that area. Wishing I could get back there for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the thought of the spaghetti western ... squeaking windmill and all...hahahhaha..... got an instant image with full sound the second you mentioned it.

    Stop by my blog sometime to check out a motorcyclist's travelling companion that we saw today on our way home through the mountains .... I didn't get a pic of the guy as he had wandered off to the men's room.... but, he was a retired older dude....and I thought of you and Sinbad right away..... he was from Montana...and the pic is taken in British Columbia, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did I miss this one!
    The tiger swallow tail…
    excellent find.
    You are so fortunate, and I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.