A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, August 29, 2011

This Old Crow

Really he was a raven but Old Crow has a better sound to it. As often as we see crows and ravens about, it isn't until you have camera in hand and want to get a picture of them that you realize, they really do not want to be any closer to you than is necessary. This raggedy old fellow confirmed that for me. It was a foggy, poopy day out on along the coast which really messed with the exposure setting of a pitch black bird against the bright gray skies. Later when I looked over my photos of him before he flew off, the best of the lot...he had his eye closed. After a few shots, that was it and he took off.
I've learned to hold the shutter button down and rapid fire off a series of shots when birds get pissed off at me and fly away. Usually one or two come out fairly well. I used to just put the camera down and watch them fly away grumbling to myself, but no more. Fire away!

6 comments:

  1. i happen to like "fly bye" shots... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. saw the title of your post and figured it'd be a self portrait... ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i take them for granted, but looking closely at the first shot, i notice a lot that i haven't before. like how big and long that beak is. and how beautiful he is when in flight. love that second shot. and i like the gray skies in the background too. happy day to you John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first photo sure reminds me of my 5th Grade teacher for some reason. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have alot of them here. I love to watch them in mid-flight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos of my favorite bird! I have never been able to get them to hold still long enough to get even a decent picture of them flying off. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.