A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Devils Tower National Monument


   We stayed two nights here at Devil's Tower as the weather was so nice and we could use a day off from driving. Most of the time was spent chasing Red Squirrels, Mountain Bluebirds and Black-tailed Prairie Dogs trying to get their picture. And honestly, all of them were very cooperative in having their picture taken.
   Today we will travel further east into the Black Hills of South Dakota and check in on a few places like Rushmore and Crazy Horse to see how things have changed since we were last there thirty-some years ago. We got a report from lady who just came from Custer State Park which is south of there and she said there were lots of Buffalo to be seen. We would love to get some pictures of them.
   It is windy today and suppose to be quite so most of the day so progress may be slow but that is okay, we're in no hurry. The picture above is not mine. The Internet connection is so bad here I could not get my pictures to load up but at least wanted those who do not know, what Devils Tower looks like. We hiked around the tower taking 2 hours to do so and it is only 1.3 miles. So you can imagine how much photo stalking we were doing.
   More later.

6 comments:

  1. i always think of "Close Encounters" when i see this place - and crave mashed potatoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been past here but never stopped. Next time I'll have to take the time to chase some wildlife with my camera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really looking forward to seeing your own images of this trip. I am aware off all the places you have visited.. American Bison (Buffalo) images I really would love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, do you have those famous 5 notes playing over and over in your head now? last time I was through there a conflict was on-going between rock climbers and Native Americans about the use of what they regard as a sacred site. don't know how/if that was ever resolved. I do think it most definitely has some unusual energy/power going on. I look forward to seeing your photos of it. too bad about the slow internet connections. but I'm sure the wait will be worth it. happy day to you guys, and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 hrs! YiKeS! Sounds like ya'll were having a good time & taking it easy.

    My grandparents took me to Mt Rushmore & Crazy Horse waaay back in 1984 when I was 14 yrs old... now, you know my age! LoL! It was absolutely gorgeous up there... Would love to go back someday

    Have fun, be safe & God bless!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey this looks familiar.
    Wasn't this that was used in Spielberg's "Close encounter of the third kind"

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.