A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Saturday, September 3, 2011

One-legged Willet

There is a sub-species of the Willet; it classified as the One-legged Willet.
Both species seemed to get along just fine with each other.

Here is a close-up of the One-legged Willet.
They are easier to get a picture of since they are unable to run.

Yet with the aid of their wings they do hop. Hop a lot I might add.
If you look closely, you can see the residual appendage on this bird, confirming that this sub-species at one time, thousands of years ago, did have two legs.


Biologists are unable to propose a theory as to why through evolution this one branch of Willets lost a leg.
Do not feel bad for the One-legged Willet though, for their abilities with that one leg is truly amazing.
Could you do this? Only if you are a ballerina, maybe.

Disclaimer: There is absolutely no truth to any of the above. 

9 comments:

  1. i knew you were 'pulling our leg'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! Sigh...you're at the beach. I could use that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos three and the last one are fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shots and I enjoyed the uh, um,'story'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shots and clever narrative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a moment I thought I was watching "Wild Kingdom".

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh didn't you just know TWG was going to come along with that quip sooner or later? these guys must be so much fun to watch. first and third my faves. the light in these photos is fabulous. how do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, such a story teller.........great photos of a bird I have never seen, always enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw great shorebird shots! Makes me miss living on the coast big time!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.