A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, October 12, 2011

American Avocet


He and she live at the Klamath Basin Wildlife Rufuge

Whenever I see American Avocet they remind me of my first real adventure into nature photography 30 some years ago. I had a Pentax Spotmatic SLR camera, loaded with slide film, a cheapie Spiratone 400mm lens and a flimsy Vivitar tripod. I thought I was hot stuff and had a prize winner in my fuzzy 8x10 avocet photo I entered in our local harvest fair. I don't think anyone noticed it. Today I feel I may be a marginally better picture taker but the equipment and technology today makes one's pictures on the same level of a National Geographic photographer of 30 years ago.


Today's photo is linked to
Click on the Pine River Review to see more birds on World Bird Wednesday.

17 comments:

  1. Awesome photos of this lovely bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is some beak. Love the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (and thank goodness for that!)

    beautiful first shot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we are all pro-like. Your avocet looks quite demure.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful bird... thanks for sharing your lovely images.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great close up!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely images of a very graceful bird!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way their beaks turn up ever so slightly. Fine tuned Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohh I always love seeing these guys, glad they let you get some shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos of the Avocet. That's another bird that I would like to see!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the quote...and love the cool bird. Peace to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "technology today makes one's pictures on the same level of a National Geographic photographer of 30 years ago"
    Amen! Isn't it fun?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots John. American Avocets are so graceful, I love watching them forage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have photographed one of my favorite birds which I do not have here where I currently live, so I will just have to enjoy them on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reviewing my comment it looks odd. "pro-like" means "like a pro" I just felt the need to clarify.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a bill. I can only imagine what insects, etc. they collect with those. their eyes are so gentle - the bottom photo makes me wish I could pet it. another bird I'm unfamiliar with. your story is hilarious. and I believe there's a Nat'l Geographic photographer in us all.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.