A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Barns, where are they?

Highway 395 near Beech Creek Oregon

I went on this road trip with great aspirations of coming home with a folder full of barn photos. The reality soon set in during the first week. I just did not see that many and most of the barns seen were set far back from the road. Many of the barns were modern looking lacking character. Some barns I saw too late and there was no place nearby to turn around. Stopping a moving house on the road takes some distance to accomplish. I missed a lot of barns for lack of a place to pull the Little House on the Highway off the road safely. Lastly I tried some shots on the fly which for the most part was a waste of time and film. Oh wait, the camera doesn't use film, but you get the idea.

I came home with far less barn photos than I thought I would.

Click on Barn Charm and see some of what I missed.

14 comments:

  1. oh, but this one is a beauty!!! perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But this one is a winner, no matter how many others you didn't get. I love everything about this shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is a beauty & we completely understand not getting as many barn shots as you'd hoped... we're happy to check out any that you did get! The modern ones really do lack the charming character... I love old barns!

    Thanks for joining in & linking up to Barn Charm... join in whenever you can! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you didn't find as many barns as you had hoped but this one is GREAT. If all are this wonderful, you did very well with quality. Too bad about the quantity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well i really like this one! i just hate when i am passing a barn and it's too late to pull over, or a car comes up behind me, or there's no place to turn around...it practically kills me inside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely old relic..It's seen better times but I bet it could tell a few tales... lovely image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice picture,but if you want some good old (really old) barns,take a trip up to the Athabasca region of Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this one has stories to tell. I love the rustic, worn quality to it. I think you need to take a road trip to the Midwest specifically for our barns. there are oodles and oodles of them here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frustrating! But this one is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. But you found a great one! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this barn shot! Too bad you didn't get to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband photographed barns in Northern Maine a few years back with a Nikon FG 35mm camera with black and white film. Who knew that photography would change so much in the past 12 years! Some of the barns he photographed even then are gone already, but quite a few remain. There's nothing like the charm of an old barn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great-looking old barn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of those little barns that looks like it isn't long for this world. Glad you documented its existence. Great shot. :-)

    NoteworthyMusings

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.