A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, October 7, 2011

Bison

Here are a few images I was able to capture during our great buffalo hunt. These were all at Custer State Park in Montana just days before they, the park service, were to hold their annual round-up that weekend. We were told it is a sight to behold and experience. They corral the entire herd, innocuclate them for diseases and treat them for what they may have, one of which is a pink-eye which we did see a calf suffering from. Nasty. So this is all well and good. The herd is thinned out to what the park can support for the winter which is around 1000 animals. The rest are auctioned off to ranchers and others who are establsihing their own private herds. This is good too but to a point. Some end up being buffalo burgers. Not good.

There was a very bad lighting issue when taking these pictures. The sun was behind them. I had my camera spot-setting the exposure on the animal itself so as to not have a dark featureless mass. Nevertheless, a large percentage of my shots ended up in the rubbish bin. All had this washed out over exposed background.
I wonder what I would have done if I were a well experienced National Geographic photogragher?
Probably arrived there early morning and then come back again late afternoon.

Wonderful animals.
.



10 comments:

  1. i'm thinking bison burgers are okay - as long as ranchers are breeding them and maintaining the herds and their health. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That close-up is great! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing bison photos! They are quite impressive animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful beast I was so interested in as a child in the 1960s... they say USA to me more than your wonderful Eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was indeed hard to get good shots of American Buffalo on my side. I really like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful animals like bisons would be better without us...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great close ups! I really like the last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of these days I am going to head out west. Perhaps one day, if I retire. Wonderful shots of these awesome creatures. I am certain it is not easy to keep the numbers in check.

    Yes, it is the third or fourth generation of monarch which makes the migration back to Mexico. It is such a mystery as to how that generation knows it is time to go south and not stay around to reproduce. ~ interesting stuff

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures, I remember seeing a lot of buffalo over in Alberta on my 2003 visit.Wonderful animals

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, these are fantastic photos - the subject matter trumps the exposure factor for me in most cases. I love the first one - he's got what looks to be a flat stomach on his left side and a rather robust one on his right! I don't like to think of any of them ending up as bison burgers on a plate. I can see in your second photo how challenging the lighting situation must have been, but oh my you captured some spirit in these creatures. my fave is the last close-up of the face. or head. they truly are sights to behold - perhaps because they aren't a common one by any measure. I'm glad the Park Service takes good care of them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.