A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, October 28, 2011

Devil's Tower

Devil's Tower National Monument is situated in the northeast corner of Wyoming. It is probably best known for the role it played in Steven Spielberg's 1977 movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".
I like this picture with the Turkey Vulture included in with the tower. There were a lot of Turkey Vultures riding the thermals around the tower. I do not know what they feed on but there were quite of few climbers on the tower.

If you think they are nuts, consider this. Look closely in the picture below and in the center and you can see a wooden ladder.
Here is a close-up.
On July 4, 1893 William Rodgers and Willard Ripley made the first ascent of the tower using this wooden ladder they constructed earlier that spring. Two years later Mrs. Rodgers used her husband's ladder to become the first woman to reach the summit. I guess Mrs. Ripley had better sense.

Falling and becoming turkey food probably is a rare occurance for climbers what with all the safety gear they have these days. But what if a portion of the tower decides to peal away unexpectedly, like in this photo.
Believe me, it gave me the willies just to stand there and take this picture. I mean, what is holding the remaining rock in place? I moved on right away.




14 comments:

  1. This rock formation is amazing!!!
    I've never seen anything similar. Like the first shot. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wooden ladder is a great idea!!!!

    I love the formations. They're so unique. Nature is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular photos of one of my favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRING ON THE MASHED POTATOES!!!! MY FAVORITE FOOD OF ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Прекрасная работа! Такая сила в этом камне. Сколько эпох он пережил.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a geographic/geological marvel. it's mind-boggling, really. though I've been there - several years ago - I didn't get close-ups like this and don't really recall what it was like. these photos are amazing. climbing it would scare the dickens out of me. I get vertigo just looking at that wooden ladder. how in the world is that thing attached and secured??? the courage and daring of people knows no bounds I guess. I'll leave it to others to take the challenge, and just shake my head from afar. (Daiseymae is in my face and stepping on the keyboard as I try to type this. She's enthralled too....) great shots John. happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful place to see John.
    Wonderful images and many thanks fot the info...
    Your posts always send me off to google more information about the places you visit.
    Take care and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome! I agree with your moving on the last shot too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do the vultures eat? Probably some of those juicy little prairie dogs that live nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos of a landmark I did not appreciate so much until viewing your close-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The shot of the turkey vulture is cool
    good shots well done

    ReplyDelete
  12. With the vultures all around and the looks of the climb, makes ya wonder....lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just reading in National Geographic about a young (and might I add crazy) man whom climbed places like this withOUT ropes! Holy Moly! I don't even like climbing the ladder to my roof!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots of the climbers... really like this post since I have never been and would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.