A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Down into a Prairie Dog Burrow

As I said on my previous prairie dog post, I could watch these little guys all day long. Now as I go through my pictures of them, I wish I had did just that...spent all day with them. While on site of whatever it is I am taking pictures of I usually think to myself "I've got enough pictures", yet I invariably realize much later, I should have spent much more time and taken many more pictures.

Here is another picture of Scarface. People seem to take a liking to him on that previous post.

Here I tried something different. I strapped my mini-mag flashlight to the monopod with the camera mounted and worked it down into the prairie dog burrow. This take was the only one that worked fairly well. All the other holes had a bend just a foot or so in which I was unable to negotiate past with the monopod. You can see that in the first hole. Turn your sound down a bit as it may be irritating with the camera rubbing against the wall of the burrow.

8 comments:

  1. John, Good thing the prairie dogs were not home and not photo bugs or you might be without a camera today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was half expecting to see a little face peering back at me. guess the sound might have been disturbing to them had anyone been home. I agree - they're a whole lot of fun to watch. and I do the same thing when I'm out taking photos - I think I've got enough and when I get home and check them out, I have fewer than I thought I had. I think that's because I considered taking a particular shot, and then decided no, I didn't need it, or it wouldn't be a good one. I get home, download, and go looking for that one I didn't take. yep, that's what I do. I'm amazed that you were able to get your camera down into the burrow. good job. happy day to you John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. caving with prairie dogs - a new nature channel show... next time send sinbad down with the cam on a collar...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been cool to see your videos!
    I'm looking forward to the next. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots of those guys and almost expected one to surprise me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first one is a chubby little guy. We had some right outside of our office. We named one Chippy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I wanted a little more, more, more.... It was a bit plain; really it is just a path. What was I expecting? Maybe a little cave painting of two legged creatures? I liked your prairie dog spelunking adventure.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.