A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Golden Eagle Enjoying Lunch

As we left the Klamath Basin Wildlife Refuge and headed back to our camp at the Lava beds N.M. I saw this bird on the road far up ahead of us. I knew right away by the size, we had an eagle and it was feeding on something in the road. That something turned out to be a Great Blue Heron. My thought was that the heron got hit by a car but talking to those who would know later on, they said it was highly unlikely a Great Blue would ever get hit by a car. The best case senario was the eagle killed the heron and was unable to carry it off or lost it's grasp and the bird fell to the road. We were able to park a reasonable distance away and observe for only a short time before the eagle flew off.
Anyway, during the entire short period of the encounter I had a bad case of buck fever, or in this case eagle fever. So excited I was that I neglected to zoom in my 70-300mm having it set at 70mm the entire time. I was hand holding the camera shooting through the windshield. Nevertheless, with the poor back lighting,  massively cropping the images and doing repairs with my photo program, I don't think they came out too bad...considering.








This is linked to World Bird Wednesday

22 comments:

  1. It did not turn out bad at all! Great photos of the amazing eagle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always pleased when I bump into wildlife, sometimes there is nothing around! These photos turned out pretty good. It's not always easy on the fly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did come out well. I like that one where he is looking right at you and seeming to say "your spoiling my lunch!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, they came out great!!! i'd have had eagle fever too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. crazy! what a an awesome view of this guy , love the series. I don't see them too often , cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eagle fever. Man, have I had that! I was crawling through my neighbors back yards just yesterday trying to sneak up on an eagle. One great thing about your use of the lens at 70mm is that the landscape is included. You did get excellent results. I recently bought a 70-300 lens but am having a hard time weening off the 400mm. It's the "I gotta get closer" fever. What's the cure?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice find and the second last is quite good!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful bird to see never mind capture images of...fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, cool sighting. I would love to see the Golden Eagle up close. Awesome shots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice series of shots of the Eagle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've done well. Birds are hard to catch at the best of times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice photos of the Golden Eagle John! They are such magnificent birds, you were lucky to happen upon this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a magical moment! (shame about the zoom hiccup). You did capture some wonderful shots though regarless; well done; lovely to see the eagle in flight like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, these are cool shots. they're magnificent creatures, just like the bear. last spring I was visiting a friend who lives on a lake several hundred miles north of here. every year eagles nest on an island in the middle of the lake. we took her pontoon boat out to get close and take photos, and though I took hundreds of them, and they were close-ups, I wasn't pleased with any and ended up deleting them all! I love that I can see the feathers close-up in the final 2 shots. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super flight shots of an amazing bird!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.