A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, October 3, 2011

Killerpillar

I found these furry little fellows living in the forest just outside Glacier National Park, Montana.
I do not know who they are but the bright colors and spike hair usually means
"Don't even think about eating me. I am poisonous and you will get sick."
They wouldn't hold still; always on the move. The above shot was at dusk. I took a couple dozen shots and only this one was acceptable. Slow shutter speed, wide open aperture and the constant movement meant a shallow depth of field for the macro lens so all the hairs are not clear.

Below was in bright late afternoon sun but as he was crawling across boring concrete it is not as an attractive setting as the first shot. 
If you know who they are, please say so in your comment. I did a search on Google through images and everyone I found, all were wondering what kind of caterpillar it was.
For more close-up photos click on Lisas Chaos and visit Macro Monday.

15 comments:

  1. Terrific shots!

    It looks like a Spotted Tussock Moth Caterpillar. I shot a similar one last week (black and white) a Hickory Tussock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't get those over here... Beautiful to see.. great images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. У нас таких нет. Они великолепны!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool shots of this fuzzy little dude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job... and no I don't think I'd like to eat him!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great details and colors - what an amazing looking little creature.

    Happy MM

    ReplyDelete
  7. He sure is a beauty! Great captures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome looking caterpillar. Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's wonderful. Love the 1st shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does look like a spotted tussock moth caterpillar. Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent macro photos.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.