A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My Co-Pilot

Some have asked if Sinbad enjoys travelling. Perhaps these pictures will answer that. At home he is strictly an indoor cat except for those few times someone didn't shout a door tight. He is a master at opening doors. He only rides like this when he senses the vehicle slowing way down which usually is when we are cruising a campground for a campsite (always getting unwanted attention) and as in this instance when we were driving slowly in a wildlife refuge. Next question is "Has he ever fallen out?" Only once. This was long ago on our first outing together when I still had my old Land Rover. It was a bumpy road out in the middle of the desert going real slow. Now I always have a firm grasp of his tail, although I do not here in these photos. I can sense the shift in his body weight and then get a hold of his tail just in case. The only scary moment was when I had an Izuzu Trooper with power windows. We were making a night run home from Mount St. Helens after one of its active phases. He stood up on the passenger door to watch all the bright lights of the cars we were passing on I-5. His foot was on the power window button and down comes the window as we're blasting along at 70mph! That really got my attention. Him? Just curious as to what was going on. I grabbed his tail, pulled him away and then was able to get the window back up. After that, I learned the car had a power window lock button on the driver door.

8 comments:

  1. So what happens if you think you need your binoculars and Sinbad's tail at the same time??? I see you have them both handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling like I know Sinbad like an old friend. thanks for the photos and the laugh. don't you just love him? they can sense so many things - like the car slowing down and something about to happen. so glad he didn't fly out the window when he accidentally opened it with his paw. that would have freaked me out. how in the world did you avoid a swerve into the other lane??? hold on tight to that adorable little tail. happy day to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure his cat friends are jealous of Sinbad's adventures! ;-)
    Cool to see him admiring the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my little louise has hit the power button with her long toe-nails too and almost freed herself from the back seat of the truck. i lock it down too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no doubt in my mind that cats are curious and Sinbad seems to prove that. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, seeing a cat lean out of the window like that is such a hoot! Hope ya'll are having lots of fun traveling... Be safe! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sinbad seems like an excellent traveler.
    Must've been funny when he accidentlly opened the window!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I don't know that I'd trust any of my cats in that situation. Puff is a scardy-cat and I'm sure he'd jump and run. It's nice to have such a wonderful companion. Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.