The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Holiday Post

I will be away for a few days as the family is gathering at my daughter's home a 3 hour drive away for the holiday. No turkey. We are having a big seafood cioppino meal instead. Save the turkeys!
So as no posts for a few days, I'll overload you for today.

Lots of fall color tree photos of late on blogs, so here in the wine country we have the vineyards displaying their colors.






How many birds can powerlines support?
While taking the above photos and those for the "Under the Highway" post a couple days ago I could hear something going on over at Infineon Raceway and went to check it out. It turned out to be a practice/test session. I was able to get in for free and was the only spectator there. Lucky me!
That is the upper end of San Francisco Bay in the distance.
It is a beautiful venue where world class motorsport events are held.
Some of the cars testing which I really should know more about than I do.
I did learn that even just one car is very loud. I cannot imagine the noise of race. Earplugs a must I'm sure.
Meanwhile,
...while I am away Occupy Santa Rosa will picket Santa Rosa’s downtown mall on “Black Friday,” the day after Thanksgiving that’s traditionally the biggest shopping day of the year. It’s part of Occupy’s anti-corporate message. The “Buy Nothing Day” demonstration will be followed by a community festival at City Hall with music, crafts and a free gift exchange.
And I will miss all the fun. I'm kinda bummed about this.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you here in the States and to the rest of you worldwide,
be thankful you will not be overstuffed and miserable on Thursday November 24.







14 comments:

  1. I like the birds shot!
    Have a good trip and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the vineyard shots! wow oh wow that's some gorgeous color and rows of texture there!

    enjoy your family time! yum! seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great Thanksgiving! I am sure the turkeys are grateful to your family. Terrific photos all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the colors at the vineyard are absolutely, incredibly, insanely gorgeous!!! i love vineyards =)

    the land where the racetrack is... it's beautiful! i'd so love to be able to travel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you and Sinbad and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving John. I would gladly trade seafood for turkey any day including Thanksgiving. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And what a wonderful overload you have shared..
    I would love to spend some time sharing your local vino John and a day at the racing track appeals ( (I live close to Oulton Park famous in the UK give it a google)

    I offer my best wishes to you and all your family and hope you really enjoy your Thanksgiving..

    Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had the opportunity to witness the autumn colors of the vineyards and now I know. They're equal to the trees in spectacular. I like the shadows over the wide expanse of land in your raceway shots. and I like the birds on the wires too. I'm in solidarity with the Occupiers. I hope they don't get sprayed with pepper spray. and I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family. The meal sounds delicious. I hope Sinbad likes seafood and gets a nibble or two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, love the vineyard photos. Beautiful colors. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving. The photos should hold us over for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know a lot of people post pics, but you have the savy knowledge to tell us of the sounds that are going on around them. Thanks. And thanks for the reminder we're full and happy. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting pictures, lovely colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent vineyard photos, especially that second one. Not familiar with cioppino, but after googling it, it sounds delicious. Enjoy, and happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the birds on the wires. What a great perspective on your part to see that concept. It looks so authentic on my screen, a picture perfect greeting card with the sky in the background. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. those are some crazy colors! Hope you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.